Have stayed at The Blackman a few times now and couldn't ask for a better place to stay in Melbourne.
This place never disappoints. Always clean, Excellent service, beautiful rooms.More
The Blackman's is one of three Art Series hotels. It is a hotel that personifies the art of Charles Blackman. For the cultural touches and the infusion of Blackman's work in all facets of the hotel, it is simply a must visit location. We stayed here on a romantic weekend away and were able to spend a bit more time than usual with the hotel and were pleasantly surprised. There are a few shortcomings but the charm of the accommodation more than make up for it. We can understand why it rated so highly on TripAdvisor.
There are a number of factors that made our stay fantastic:
1) The staff are very warm and welcoming. They were helpful and seem to subscribe to artistic interest of the hotel.
2) Lovely view. We had a great view of Albert Park Lake and from the 15th floor we loved the view of the city throughout the day and at night.
3) The incorporation of Charles Blackman’s work into the hotel and room. The room has lovely touches of his work such as the bathroom door being a full sized image or the paintings on the wall. The choice of furniture also complemented the art.
4) Great facilities such as 24hr gym, access to a pool, smart car hire and bike hire
5) Location - close enough to the city but far enough away from it to have a great peaceful time. Being on St Kilda road means you can get onto a myriad of trams that go into the city.
6) The two restaurants attached to the hotel are essential dining options. Despite the lack of immediate dining options in the area, the restaurant and bakery more than make up for it.
7) Value – we were fortunate enough to find a sale online for our room. For the price we paid, it’s hard to beat for accommodation especially in Melbourne.
Things that we found a bit lacking:
1) The bed and pillows left a little to be desired. Both my wife and I woke up with sore necks and backs. We are quite fussy because our necks and backs are quite sensitive. If you don't find that an issue, it won't be a problem.
2) The bathrooms were a little petite. The layout of our room which was a Stuido Suite Balcony seemed to maximise the space for the living/sleeping area by compromising the bathroom space. It's not a deal breaker but something you do notice.
3) TV placement. The TV in our room was found on the side of the bed which made viewing a bit strange. With the room layout, it didn't make sense to have it anywhere else but it's often better to have the TV at the foot of the bed.
1) If you have a choice, try and get a room on the 15th floor or above. The views are amazing.
2) Make sure you get the map in the hotel as it has some great recommendations for dining, bars and culture. This is an easily underestimated resource but it will make your stay fantastic.
3) If you’ve hired a car and are only there for a Saturday night. Don’t pay $25 for parking as street parking is free for weekends. We were able to find spots out front fairly easily but if you can’t find any there, you’ll be able to find spots on St Kilda Road.
4) One of our regrets was that we discovered that a little too late that the tours are provided of Blackman's work and I think it would be a great way to learn more about the artist.
The Blackman is a fantastic representation of Melbourne. It combines a modern stylistic feel with culture that engages creativity and flair. The rooms are tastefully designed with carefully selected furniture that matches beautiful work. The next time we travel to Melbourne on a romantic getaway, we look forward to try the Olsen, which is the flagship of the Art Series hotels but if you haven’t been to Blackman’s, don’t pass it up.
My partner and I stayed at the Blackman for 5 days this summer. A regular visitor to Melbourne for work and play I often am looking for reasonably priced accommodation without compromising on style, location and cleanliness. The Blackman does not disappoint. We stayed in the least expensive room available and felt that this provided more than enough room for both of us. The rooms are well appointed, fresh, clean, comfortable and modern. Check-in and check-out a breeze. Staff very helpful and professional. When in Melbourne it's best to eat out of course, but for the nights you are too tired to venture out the room service is great & not overpriced at all. I have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world & the Blackman certainly is up there, the best part is that you won't have to pay the big bucks to enjoy it! A fantastic hotel experience for all.
we stayed at the blackman for five days the best hotel we stayed in. The staff are all so friendly the house keeping is great the rooms are fab we had a corner room with two balconies with great views theonly thing we did not like was the lighting it was a bit to dim and they need full length mirror we stay there every time we go to melbourne well done BLACKMAN
Thank you for this wonderful review on your recent stay at The Blackman. It sure sounds like you had a fabulous time with us and I was very pleased to see that the service you received was fantastic.
I would also like to thank you for the feedback on the lighting, we will be sure to discuss the issue at our next team meeting.
We look forward to welcomming you back very soon.
Ben May, Guest Experience Manager
You will see the quality of room, if the price of room is more than 250 in Melbourne. We all like the small kitchen is the room, because the room seems like a sweet home. Moreover, if you plan to go to seashore of st kilda, the hotel is good place to settle down. However, the internet is not fast as you image. You can find the place to have internet outside.
Thank you for this wonderful review on the Blackman. i was very happy to read such fantastic comments on our hotel. We do hope that we have the pleasure of welcomming you back in the very near future.
Ben May, Guest Experience Manager
The Blackman is a great boutique hotel that is in a great location. We were within walking distance or a tram ride to the Australian Open and taxis were always readily available. The room was a good size with a super comfortable king size bed and a beautiful balcony. The room gets pretty warm during the day so we kept the curtains closed while we were at the Open. The cafe and restaurant in the lobby were very convenient to have a morning latte and a pre-dinner drink on the patio. Having coin laundry service at the hotel was a big plus as well.