4,913 results
All reviewscollins kitchenthe club loungemarble bathroomcollins streetstar hotelcorner roomroom servicefederation squarebeautiful hotelbuffet breakfastvalet parkingyarra riverlate checkgreat roomlocation is excellentcentral locationcity
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Stayed here on the night of the Beach Boys concert. We checked-in at 3:30pm and the process was quick and painless. Within five minutes we were on our way to Room 1907(Grand View). We did have grand views across Federation Square and pass Flinders St Station in one direction then up Russell St the other way. The room was smaller than it appeared to be in photos on the website but there was still ample room to move. The shower was lovely with good water pressure and an adjustable shower head. Large cakes of soap were provided for those who prefer soap to the shower and bath gel that was also provided. The bed was comfortable and the pillows far better than the usual horrible hotel pillows. Our package included bed in Collins Kitchen. There was great variety. I would have liked labels on the juice jugs rather than trying to guess what juice I had selected. I had an omolette prepared on the spot for me however, we were before the rush. Those who arrived later had to queue for some time for their freshly cooked eggs. The bacon was thin sliced and may have been lovely. However, it was very much baked to a crisp when I was after bacon. The waiting staff were ok but having stayed at The Windsor, I can state that it is far from the same standard. There was not offer to help with the napkin. We were asked to order our tea/coffee at the start and had to wait some time. The Windsor offers brewed coffee that is topped up readily. I had a choice of a flat white or cappacino which of course could not be topped up. I then had a decent wait to get another cappacino. The wait staff liked to have a bit of a chat amongst themselves so cleaning away of used plates and cutlery was missing.
But all this can be tolerated and improved on. The seating provided is fixed. Where we were seated the fixed bench-type seating down the sides of the rectangular table was too far from the table and TOO LOW.
We also had afternoon tea in Collins Kitchen. The waiter who showed us to our table was very inexperienced and nervous. Again same arrangement with tea/coffee. Again the same lack of focus on the customer and staff again chatting. A female wait staff brought a two-tiered silver tay which failed to have a second plate of food. All we had was a plate of finger sandwiches. Finally a staff member finished his chatting with another staff member and brought across a second plate containing some slices of cake that he had been holding for some time. The cakes were nice and the focus different to the High Tea at The Windsor. However, the finger sandwiches fell a long way short of the standard of The Windsor. The bread did not seem very fresh.
In summary the accomodation is excellent but there is room for a lift in standards in Collins Kitchen.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2012

Dear Rosey55,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. The views from our rooms really are spectacular, and give you a great sense of the city of Melbourne, albeit from a height you don’t often get to experience! We’re very disappointed to hear that the service you received was not the professional 5 star standard you would expect from our Collins Kitchen staff – we have alerted our Food and Beverage management team to your comments for review and training. We do appreciate your candid feedback as an opportunity to learn, and do hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Spent the night here for a special occasion and the room itself was beautiful and modern.I got a package that included a bottle of wine and when I checked in I told the girl I didn't need the wine and she offered to send some sparkling water instead..wine arrived water didn't.
Valet parking was professional but had to wait over 30mins to get our bags delivered to our room.
The hotel itself was quiet and slept easily and didn't noticed plumbing noise as other people had described..
We had room service breakfast and told them it was for 2 people.I had ordered their australian breakfast with juice and coffee.
When it was delivered there was one coffee and one juice so we had to share.I just couldn't be bothered ringing and telling them and waiting another half hour..
All in all nice room and hotel but service is some way off 5 star

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear scoutersMelbourne,
When we redesigned our rooms, we put a lot of thought into making the rooms contemporary in design, but still very comfortable, with all the little touches you expect from a 5 star property. It is great to hear you enjoyed the ambience of our guestrooms. However, we are disappointed to read that you experienced less than perfect service from both Room Service and our Bell staff. This is certainly not the 5 star service we aim to provide, and we have alerted our Food and Beverage management team, and our Front Office management team for review and further training in both these departments. We do sincerely thank you for the opportunity to learn from your experience, and hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to Grand Hyatt Melbourne soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

I had made my reservation in this hotel for 2 weeks but had to cut short my trip after a week.They changed my reservation without any penalty.My stay for the week was excellent except a few hiccups. I had been there for my business trip.
I reached the hotel on a Sunday at around 9:00 am. Their standard check in time is 2:00 pm but the hotel staff was aware of my itinerary. Despite this, because of non-availability of a vacant room, I could get my room only by 12:00 pm. Though I don't mind this, I can advise that they should at least provide some facility for people to freshen up. I had reached there after a 20 hour long journey. The people at the reception told me to be either seated in their lobby or guided me on the places I can go around to spend my time. They should keep some cold drinking water/juice for the guests waiting to get their room. There were many people like me waiting to get their rooms. It was very embarrassing to open my suitcase in front of other to get my toothbrush and clothes to get freshen up in a common rest room.
I had stayed in the Grand King room. The room was spacious with almost all the facilities one can think of. The mini bar was adequately filled. The tea/coffee maker, locker, ironing board, iron, hair dryer, etc were available. I missed the microwave oven in the room though. The cupboards were not sufficient enough for long stay. The Grand King room doesn't have any view. I stayed on 27th floor of the building but still could see the glass of another tall building. The room was cleaned regularly and the beds done. I had adequate toiletries and towels in the bathroom and replaced whenever needed. The room service was excellent. I requested for drinking water late in the night and they delivered it to me within few minutes.
The reception staff was friendly to answer my questions every time.
The hotel is located in a well connected area and very close to the federation square. The decor is awesome.
My package did not include breakfast or internet. The internet charged by the hotel is exorbitantly priced at $29 per day.
I had breakfast in the Collins Kitchen everyday. They have different breakfast choices like Continental Breakfast, Full Breakfast, etc. Being a vegetarian, I had only the continental breakfast everyday. The staff in the Collins Kitchen during the breakfast was extremely unfriendly and inattentive. On my first day, I had ordered a cup of black coffee. The restaurant was not too crowded. Still it took them more than 15 minutes and 2 reminders to bring the coffee almost by the time when I had already got up and was about to leave. On one occasion, I requested one of the waiter to provide me a glass of warm soya milk. She said it will take some time. I was ready to wait for it but she asserted that it will take very long time to get warm soya milk.This was ridiculous to me because she just needed to heat a cup of soya milk in microwave. I faced more severe problems with the breakfast which I choose not to write here.
I had dinner in this restaurant twice - one on Monday and another one on Friday. The service was very good on Monday because I was the only person eating in the restaurant. The service was equally bad on Friday evening though the restaurant was not so crowded. After serving my dinner, there was nobody to attend my table. I waited for my bill for more than 10 minutes. Then I got up, asked the staff to generate my bill and paid it there itself.The food was average.

Overall, I recommend this hotel for business travelers and families. This is not a great hotel for couples.

Room Tip: 1) This hotel is surrounded by many eateries. Unless you want an extremely quiet fine dining experience, Collins Kitchen is not the place to dine. 2) Insist on a room facing the river. 50% of the rooms are facing a tall office complex.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Dear Viral_kamdar,
We’re sorry to hear that you experienced some inconvenience on check in – we really do try our very best to check early arrivals straight into their rooms, however sometimes it is not possible due to high occupancy from the night before. For future bookings, we would always recommend pre-booking your room from the night before if you need to access your room on arrival prior to 2pm. We have raised the service issues you experienced with our Collins Kitchen management team for review and training – the service you received is certainly not indicative of the 5 star service you should expect at Grand Hyatt Melbourne. We hope that the next time you visit Melbourne, you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Stayed for my partners birthday & everything was perfect. Got the river view, bottle of wine & flowers as requested. Management surprised my partner with a box of chocolates for her B'day. Room was spotless and quiet. Flowers were a little expensive at $65 for what would have been worth $30 at a florist but you pay for the convenience. Overall a great hotel.

Room Tip: Request a river view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pat H

Dear Pat H,
It’s great to read that we were able to help make your partner’s Birthday that little bit more special. We pride ourselves on going above and beyond our guest’s expectations and we’re pleased to hear that you found our hotel a perfect place to celebrate an important occasion. We hope to welcome you back soon – if not for another celebration, perhaps just a relaxing weekend away!

Reviewed 25 August 2012

Recently stayed here on a secret hotel deal so was somewhat concerned, but the hotel has been refurbished and our room was spacious and well designed with the large bathroom having all the little extras to make your stay enjoyable. The location in the CBD is excellent within walking distance to theatre, restauants, shops etc. The resaurant is great as well, serving a good breakfast, and we indulged in afternoon tea there as well which was delicious and not overpriced either.Thorougly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Sadies50,
Well done on scoring such a great secret deal! We’re really glad you enjoyed your stay with us – and we have to agree, indulging in Afternoon tea is a wonderful way to relax and spend time with friends! Our culinary team definitely do a wonderful array of tempting sweet treats and savoury morsels to enjoy. We would love to welcome you back to Grand Hyatt Melbourne again – perhaps the next time you visit Melbourne!