“Late Breakfast”

Ranked #25 of 207 Coffee & Tea in Melbourne
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 28 May 2016 via mobile

In Melbourne for an afternoon meeting and looking for somewhere quiet to prepare so went to the State Library which, unreasonably, doesn't open till 10:00am. However, back from the corner of Swanston and La Trobe Streets, I did find the Mr Tulk café bistro that was open for a late breakfast.

The staff were friendly, very helpful and quite happy to chat with an out-of-towner. I had the porridge which was very nice, I asked for a strong English breakfast tea and that was exactly what was served. Prices are at the highish end, based on my meal, worth the extra. More meetings later today so I'm planning another late breakfast.

Reviewed 22 May 2016

Our breakfasts were delicious yesterday, although probably a little on the expensive side considering most 'extras' were $4 each...the 'hot' breakfast menu was small so if you are looking for this, be prepared to pay big! We paid $46 for two meals & 2 coffees for what I would consider to be a regular brekkie anywhere else for half the price (2 eggs, toast, avocado & feta). You would think being so close to RMIT and the State Library they would make their meals more affordable to students?..waiters were lovely, cashier girl could try smiling a little...I would still recommend this place (if you can afford it) as our meals & coffee were delicious!

Reviewed 10 May 2016 via mobile

It's in the State Library complex on La Trobe St. The ambience is airy and laid back. The food is excellent, great variety in the menu with very good specials choices. The service is great and the staff very obliging and pleasant which made it even more enjoyable.

Reviewed 13 April 2016

I do find $11 rather high for a medium bowl of soup. However, it was full of interesting vegetables and was tasty. Itg is a noisy place, so don't go there if you want a quiet chat. Seems to attract a lot of trendy folk and I noted no students in attendance even though it is across the street from RMIT and located in the State Library building. It is convenient for me as I spend a lot of time in th library, but I do resent the high prices.

Reviewed 10 April 2016

Tulk's eat-in food is *amazing*; from their decadent braised mushrooms with perfect crunchy-on-the-outside, creamy-on-the-inside polenta and crispy fried kale, to the flavour explosion that is their nutty, sweet and sour broccolini and freekah salad with currants and almonds. The service is quick and efficient, and importantly more friendly/less snobby than it was in the past, which is a big improvement.
Docked one star as Tulk can be quite pricey ($10 for an admittedly very nice, tricked up, tinned tuna roll, take away? Close to $20 for a few inch-wide cubes of polenta and a few mushrooms?). Also, very cramped inside during lunch hour rush; and it's not much fun having to shift tables and essentially crawl through someone's lunch to get in to your seat at a two-person table. Finally, I haven't quite forgiven them for removing their lemon tarts from their menu either - they were the best I've ever tasted, and I mourn their loss every time I look in their dessert case! The nutty brownies are a yummy alternative, but nothing beats the zip and zing of a perfect lemon tart (no meringue nonsense on top, please) in crisp, thin sweet pastry, with the lightest suggestion of toffee on top. Please consider bringing them back!