“Carbonara!!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

Have been eating in this restaurant when I have the pleasure of staying at the art series - Blackman on many occasions. Whether it is a quick vino and olives or one of the best carbonaras you can get in Melbourne it's always a pleasure as a sessioned Traveller on a tight timeframe etc.

Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

Ate at the Classico whilst staying at the Blackman. Space is super tiny so packs out pretty quick. Italian restaurant with a decent selection but food was a bit blah. Hubby has the lamb chops and I had the gnocchi, food came out quick, hot and well presented but taste just fell short which was disappointing. Sauce with the gnocchi tasted like it came out of a jar rather than hand made, add some more garlic and herbs to that bad boy and it would of tasted great! Ok if your staying at the Blackman and can’t be bothered walking anywhere but there are much better places around.

1  Thank alexdunn1990
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Probably the best gluten free pasta I've ever had (only Osteria Oggy in Adelaide is better). The carbonara was perfectly "eggy" with speck, a brilliant balance of salty, pepper, cheesy, lusciousness, without the cream. Hubby had the penne amitricana and totally loved it, sopping up the sauce with lovely fresh crusty bread. Wine list is small but perfect, we can highly recommend the 2017 O'Leary Walker Riesling. The highlight was the smart, knowledgable waiting staff. Interesting young men who are a pleasure to engage with.
We ate here twice in three days and it was so much better than anything else we had in Melbourne. We'd be back in a flash, thank you.

Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

It is a safe bet that a restaurant you have never heard of attached to a Hotel, is best avoided. And this place is no exception.

But, having just joined the 'downsizing' tsunami and moved into the area, I just had to give it a go - eventually. (I waited until my wife was travelling so as not to inflict my risky behaviour on her.)

Anyway, all I can remember was a loud group drinking at the bar, a bar which effectively squished the few tables there were to the fringe. Not so bad if it wasn't for one guy who thought saying 'Screaming Orgasm' got funnier the more often you said it.

Food was standard Italian - pizzas as well if you want or bring kids - sad wine list. Service was fine enough - but not much to serve!

The search in my new neighbourhood continues ...

Reviewed 25 September 2017

Unfortunately, I had high expectations of this restaurant as it came recommended by the staff at the Blackman. All in all, it was average. I found the food extremely average and a tad expensive for the type of food on offer. Whilst sitting at the bar I noticed the dust between the shelving facing the bar. It drew my attention because the shelving is lit! Seriously, clean your shelves! The staff are also almost lethargic in their approach and I was seated at a table that hadn't been cleaned. Not impressed at all. There are many excellent Italian dining establishments in Melbourne. I suggest you give the 'average' Classico a miss!