“Delightful Surroundings for Afternoon Tea”

Afternoon Tea - The Windsor Melbourne
Ranked #14 of 4,256 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 19 October 2017

The hotel was offering a half price afternoon tea $34.50 to Seniors this week so a group of 23 of us took advantage. We were asked to arrive early for photographs to be taken by the hotel's photographer for their own purposes, Facebook etc but no photographer in sight.
The hotel itself is lovely and the decor reminiscent of a bygone era and the wait staff were excellent. The afternoon tea fare itself was acceptable.
I'm not much of a cake eater and the smallest dob of cream I've ever seen accompanied delicious jam and lemon curd for the scones but I rather like a good dollop of cream on my scone however they had run out so I missed out on my favourite sweet treat.
For the price I shouldn't complain but if I'd had to pay the full $69 I think I'd have refused. This is the 2nd time I've been there. I saw some improvement this time but the previous time they had run out of some foods and it was very disappointing that time as well.

Julie D, Manager at Afternoon Tea - The Windsor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with feedback of your recent Afternoon Tea experience. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

I am delighted you enjoyed soaking up the old-world charm of this beautiful, grand hotel, and relaxing in the warm atmosphere of the dining room.

I apologise for the confusion regarding the photography before the session began, I was not made aware of this, so please accept me apologies for your early arrival. In regards to the cream, we would have been more than happy to provide extra for you on request. I apologise that this was not offered to you.

I hope on your next visit we can leave you with fond memories far more be-fitting of The Hotel Windsor. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Restaurant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,143)

Reviewed 19 October 2017

The high tea at the Windsor was an experience I am still not sure about. Perhaps it is more about the people who enjoy these sort of things than the hotel itself. For example, the time I went with my boyfriend, the contrast of the Windsor environment and the fact that D. really enjoys "Bad Santa", has read "50 Shades of Grey" and decorated his own home with a really tacky cuckoo clock had me thinking that D was just a pretentious knob who probably likes taking a cruise for a holiday and wears his business logo on his shirt to remind people that money does not equal good taste. Was the Windsor Hotel tasteful? Yes in a sort of vulgar Victorian way. Did my boyfriend have good taste? Only if you like kitsch.

1  Thank Alison R A

Dear Alison,

Thank you for taking the time to write this colourful review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the beautiful grandeur of this historic building, and I hope that in your future visits to the Windsor, you will be able to enjoy all the treasures in this highly-celebrated Melbourne tradition.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back for more delicious Jasmine Tea in the near future.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

The Windsor is such a lovely old hotel so the environment was beautiful but the actual High Tea was average. I have been before and I felt it wasn't as good as it was in the past. Especially for the price, I didn't leave feeling great about what I had just paid for. Plus our waiter had a strong accent we couldn't understand. I have since spoken about the Windsor to many people and they have all said there are much better places for High Tea, so next time will be looking at one of the recommended places

Julie D, Manager at Afternoon Tea - The Windsor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

Dear Cathy,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your afternoon tea experience at the Hotel Windsor. Your comments are greatly appreciated and rest assured that they have been brought to management's attention.

Please accept our sincere apologies for not exceeding your expectations on this particular occasion. We strive to ensure all guests leave feeling valued and appreciated and I regret to hear we were not able do so.

Thank you again for your comments.

Charmaine Khei
Restaurant Supervisor

Reviewed 15 October 2017

Talk about walking into a history page? Amazingly charming and extremely luxurious surroundings. Was mesmerized by the decor and the courteous hospitality of the staff in the restaurant. Our every whim was catered for and with such polite and impeccable mannered waiters who served us. Afternoon tea was a delight to experience and I must say that the little pies and quiches were the best we have ever tasted - a big thankyou to the Chef's for these culinary delights......fantastic !!
We also wish to thank Landon for giving us a quick history lesson about the Windsor and a small tour of the Grand Ballroom. He is a lovely gentleman and has so much love and enthusiasm for his job, he surely should be commended for such loyalty. Thanks once again for your great hospitality and we will sure be visiting again in the future. Kindest Regards, Helen and David - Langwarrin, Vic.

Dear Helen and David,

What a delight to read through your lovely review. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am thrilled that all of the chef's creations have exceeded your expectations.

Your kind compliments of the staff have been passed on to the team and met with delight. I will also be sure to let Landon know how impressed you were with him. Indeed he has a lovely demeanor and passion for his job.

Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

6 ladies made the trip from Geelong to enjoy a great “High Tea”at the Windsor today.
Everything was wonderful, the food, the service from “Eddie” our waiter, the decor and the atmosphere.

Dear Guest,

The pleasure was all ours. I am delighted to hear that we could create a lovely, relaxing afternoon for you and your 5 guests to enjoy.

I will pass your thanks on to Eddie, who i'm sure will be delighted to hear from you.

We look forward to the pleasure of your next visit.