“Lovely old hotel”

Ranked #14 of 4,249 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 29 October 2017

I had been wanting to go here for a long time. Much of the food came on tiered stands and was most enjoyable. Our coffee was just barely warm and had to be taken away, however after that the coffee was hot. The scones were good however they could be much more generous with the cream, there not being enough for the number of scones served. The staff were quite efficient.

Julie D, Manager at Afternoon Tea - The Windsor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Dear Betula,

It was a pleasure to have you here. I am thrilled that we could create a lovely afternoon for you and your party to enjoy.

Please be assured for your next visit, we would be more than happy to bring extra cream to the table for you on request.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Restaurant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,143)

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Magnificent Hotel. Took a good friend there for a special birthday. We loved it.
Beautiful room. Greeted with a glass of bubbly. Tea and coffee offered many times. Tiered stand with varied food. Loved it all. Did not manage to finish it so they gave us a container and a paper bag to take it home. Staff were really nice especially Eddie. Very nice friendly man. They also bought a small cake with a candle for the birthday girl. A very Special place for a Special occasion. Loved it!!!!

1  Thank tms037
Julie D, Manager at Afternoon Tea - The Windsor Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2017

Dear Guest,

What a delight to read through your kind words. It was an absolute pleasure to have you here with us, and for such a special occasion as your friends birthday!

I am delighted that we could make her day all the more special with our little surprise.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another splendid celebration.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

My friends and I enjoyed a wonderful afternoon tea in the beautiful old world charm surrounds that The Windsor Hotel has to offer. The food, the table setting, the service and atmosphere was spot on, we would definitely revisit this wonderful Hotel again.

Dear Stella,

The pleasure was all ours! Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review.

I am delighted to hear that all of the elements of the service were well enjoyed, and that we could create an afternoon for you and your friends to remember.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

The hotel was offering a half price afternoon tea $34.50 to Seniors this week so a group of 23 of us took advantage. We were asked to arrive early for photographs to be taken by the hotel's photographer for their own purposes, Facebook etc but no photographer in sight.
The hotel itself is lovely and the decor reminiscent of a bygone era and the wait staff were excellent. The afternoon tea fare itself was acceptable.
I'm not much of a cake eater and the smallest dob of cream I've ever seen accompanied delicious jam and lemon curd for the scones but I rather like a good dollop of cream on my scone however they had run out so I missed out on my favourite sweet treat.
For the price I shouldn't complain but if I'd had to pay the full $69 I think I'd have refused. This is the 2nd time I've been there. I saw some improvement this time but the previous time they had run out of some foods and it was very disappointing that time as well.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with feedback of your recent Afternoon Tea experience. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

I am delighted you enjoyed soaking up the old-world charm of this beautiful, grand hotel, and relaxing in the warm atmosphere of the dining room.

I apologise for the confusion regarding the photography before the session began, I was not made aware of this, so please accept me apologies for your early arrival. In regards to the cream, we would have been more than happy to provide extra for you on request. I apologise that this was not offered to you.

I hope on your next visit we can leave you with fond memories far more be-fitting of The Hotel Windsor. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

The high tea at the Windsor was an experience I am still not sure about. Perhaps it is more about the people who enjoy these sort of things than the hotel itself. For example, the time I went with my boyfriend, the contrast of the Windsor environment and the fact that D. really enjoys "Bad Santa", has read "50 Shades of Grey" and decorated his own home with a really tacky cuckoo clock had me thinking that D was just a pretentious knob who probably likes taking a cruise for a holiday and wears his business logo on his shirt to remind people that money does not equal good taste. Was the Windsor Hotel tasteful? Yes in a sort of vulgar Victorian way. Did my boyfriend have good taste? Only if you like kitsch.

1  Thank Alison R A

Dear Alison,

Thank you for taking the time to write this colourful review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the beautiful grandeur of this historic building, and I hope that in your future visits to the Windsor, you will be able to enjoy all the treasures in this highly-celebrated Melbourne tradition.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back for more delicious Jasmine Tea in the near future.