“Terrific”

Cuisines: Australian
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 6 October 2015 via mobile

Terrific little cafe. An oasis really in a charming old building off busy Collins St. Had the Caesar salad for lunch today (see photo). Gosh it was good. Quite large with very generous helpings of croutons, bacon and cheese with a couple of anchovies off to the side of you wanted them (I did). The salad made for a very satisfying light lunch. Top stuff. I'm definetly returning.

Reviewed 4 September 2015

A neat innovation is their sampler meat pie. Two different fillings separated by a pastry wall. My was chicken and leek on one side and beef and wine on the other.
For me I had thought the beef would win as the cafe is well known for this, but it was a little too cinnamon for my taste. However leek and chicken was fine and the pastry good. Service is bright and friendly

Reviewed 2 December 2014

This cafe is a delightful gem, hidden from view on the corner of Collins and Spring Streets. Friendly service, cozy and bright atmosphere.

I had the porridge with apple and maple syrup... served nice and hot, a lovely taste, but not too sweet.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have walked past this place a thousand times without really being aware of it. Yesterday I was in town, it was freezing and I happened to be on the Paris end of Collins Street. I walked past that magnificent Alcaston building and noticed the small sign outside advertising pies for lunch.

I have lived in Melbourne for 45 years and have never tried the Cafe Alcaston , but now when in town it will be on the top of my list for a hot comforting pie. Half beef half chicken it was excellent. I was also told the macaroni cheese is very good so next time I will try that as well !
Cafe Alcaston, one of Melbourne's tiny hidden gems.

1  Thank LordByron
Reviewed 25 April 2014

A favourite of public servants in the eastern part of the CBD, Cafe Alcaston is always a good bet for a home made muffin (rich, delicious flavours) or their well-known pies, including a delicious vegetarian option. Good coffee, good service and a cosy settting.