“Great night out”

Price range: US$45 - US$227
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: Tonka is a modern Indian restaurant just off Flinders Lane, down one of Melbourne’s iconic laneways, Duckboard Place. At Tonka we celebrate the vibrancy of Indian flavours complimented by our award winning wine list. Delivered by our experienced and passionate team. Tonka opened in 2013 and is the proud sister to Coda restaurant, a short walk away. Since their inception, both restaurants have received the Age Good Food Guide’s ‘Hat Award’ every year. While bookings are highly recommended we also have an area available for walk-in patrons. For those looking for a cocktail and a relaxed meal we have a substantial menu in our bar, Thali.
Reviewed 19 September 2017

We went with friends on a Friday night. Drinks first at the bar. Then dinner. The table was not too cramped. We let our waiter choose a six or seven course sharing plates. I asked for the sommelier to recommend wine for the meal with a price ceiling. All worked well. Quite pricey, but delicious.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

I was keen to go to Tonka having seen it on 'The Chef's Line' on SBS and was in Melbourne for work. I was a little reluctant as I was on my own, but was welcomed at Tonka and seated at the bar, and definitely not made to feel like a 'no mates'. The staff were very accommodating of my eating on my own and made great suggestions for how to order off the menu as one person - including offering the option of a halfserve.
The wine list is fabulous and the food exceptionally good - creative and contemporary but without compromise of the Indian heritage.
Am keen to return with my partner.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

I had the degustation lunch at Tonka, the modern Indian. The others really loved it, but after a great start, I thought the food was a bit dull like the lamb curry with rice and a tray of chutneys that anyone could have made. The first dish was small street food crisp balls with mint and veg inside into which we poured a herby liquid. Delicious and fresh. Then we had some poppadums with ceviche, then fried veg croquettes with a lovely raita. The Tandoori baked trout was bland, but it came with a very good coleslaw with interesting flavours, and fried cauliflower with yoghurt. Then the curry. The desserts were beautifully presented and included a meringue ball filled with rhubarb stuff, a passionfruit concoction and a ginger and chestnut dish.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

It’s in a super cool graffiti alley and has an industrial kitchen vibe. The clientele which filled the place for lunch looked smart and sophisticated. The East India gin and tonic with absinthe packed an interesting punch and was the highlight of the meal. The country music selections were odd. The duck korma was a disappointment because the taste was too subtle. And the hot and sour pumpkin salad was neither hot nor sour. Moreover, we didn't like that the Dal had kidney beans in it. I love Indian fusion and had high hopes for Tonka as one of the top 100 restaurants in Australia from Financial Review. But in all fairness, I have had the pleasure of Floyd Cardoz in New York for two decades now, and we had had an excellent experience at Indu in Sydney just prior to visiting Melbourne

Reviewed 6 September 2017

We arrived on a Friday night without a booking - waiting 10 minutes and were shown to a high table (which I love!).
The service was excellent - we were given menus - said we preferred vegetarian plus seafood and asked the waiter to order for us.
The choice of dishes was superb! Just the right amount.