“Still good after all these years!”
Review of Yamato

Yamato
Ranked #807 of 4,484 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 26 October 2017

We, 2 of us, had dinner here again after a 6 year absence.
Everything, except the waiters, was the same.
All is still good, including the waiters.
Thank you to all for a delightful and very reasonably priced dinner.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

This was one of the first Japanese restaurants in Melbourne. When I first went there in about 1978, before embarking on my career which surely changed the very nature of Japanese translation as we know it, there was only Kuni's, that stupid Teppanyaki place, maybe Madam Butterfly's in Collingwood, even Kenzan wasn't there.
It was so tucked away, homely, unpretentious, cosy and intimate. And the food was good. Standard but good. It was a lot like being in Japan. And I've been to Japan.
Anyway, they must have taken the money and run because now it is owned by Chinese who know next to nothing about Japanese cuisine except apparently a bunch of recipes they bought with the restaurant and now mangle every night. They really struggle to keep up with the customers both in terms of service and language. It is sad. I wouldn't bother.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

located 50 metres from heart of China Town, this small restaurant is tucked away. we lucked on it while exploring laneways of melbourne city. foor is very nice given how cheap it is compared to others. tables and chairs down market but not the food. enjoy

Reviewed 20 July 2017

I have been to this place a number times over the years. a lot has changed, not for the better. Most recently ordered Gyoza, what was served is nothing like I have seen in Japan - anywhere. Small fall-apart dumplings in a bowl. Don-buri (katsu don) dish was small and not satisfying. Staff no longer Japanese. I'm going to find a new Japanese lunch place.

Reviewed 1 March 2017 via mobile

Usually I like small cosy places, but in the case of Yamato it worked against it. The booths are very cramped such that everytime someone sitting on the inside needs to go to the toilet, everyone has to get up to let them out. Having to take off shoes just to sit in the booths was more of a bother than adding to the experience.

However my main gripe is with the food, the sushi/sashimi was lacklustre, the eel rice, hotpot, and udon had disappointing portions and tasted bland, below the quality of any casual Japanese restaurant I've been to.