“A little Paris in Melbourne”
Review of Vue de Monde

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 13 March 2012

A little tricky finding the place and ensure you book the "level" of dining you are after - separate entrances for these. Very Parisian decor with lots of lace - very cute. Even the "corridor" feels like a small lane in Paris. The toilet is also cute. Pricey food but then again, isn't everything pricy in Paris?

There are newer reviews for Vue de Monde

Reviewed 7 March 2012

Booked dinner for hubby's birthday as he had previously dined at this restaurant and really enjoyed it.
We went on a weekday night so the restaurant was not busy. We decided on the degustation menu. Food was not bad, more memorable than our meal at Jacques Reymond. There were a couple of stand out dishes. But service was pathetic. My wine glass was empty twice, and was not topped up. I had to do it myself!! And no, they were not busy and seemed to have adequate staff. But the point is, at almost $800 for two people, I expect not to have to refill my own wine glass! Also, when we were served our plates, there were instances where we weren't even given an explanation. Were we supposed to guess what we we eating? We've had much better service at Jacques Reymond and other 1 or 2 hat restaurants.
The following month, we were fortunate enough to enjoy dinner at 3 Michelin starred Guy Savoy in Paris, dinner at 3 Michelin starred Maison Lameloise in Chagny, and dinner at 1 starred Promenade in the Loire. The food and service we experienced there blew our minds away. If Vue de Monde is one of the best Melbourne has to offer, I'm afraid Melbourne has a long, long way to go before it is comparable to the international standard of cuisine. And yet, the prices are ridiculously high for what they offer. Guy Savoy was about 1 1/2 times, Maison Lameloise was about the same price, and Promenade was less... And we had the degustation menu and a bottle of decent wine at each of these restaurants.

12  Thank Vivien L
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Wow! What an exceptional experience. Dining at VdM is an event itself. We took an 8.30pm sitting and didn't finish up until after midnight.

The food was amazing. We had the ten course degustation with a number of additional "snacks". Each course was presented perfectly and explained without pretension by our host or one of the chefs. Highlights included the "crab sandwich", wagyu, and the two most glorious desserts!

VdM offered a wine match which was a great option. Ten 'half' glasses of wine, each superb and from a range of regions around the world, including a number of Australia.

Food and wine aside, what makes VdM truly special is the service. Friendly and sophisticated without a hint of pretension. Nothing was too much trouble for our hosts. They knew why we were there and made our night very special.

There's also a little surprise at the end of your night...I won't spoil it.

VdM was exceptional. Very expensive however it is an event and not just dinner. We will be back.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Not sure where to start with this? Friends recommended that we enjoy the Vue de Monde experience and we booked five-days out from a visit to Melbourne but found ourselves on the 'wait list' for Thursday night. We were fortunate enough to score a 'call to the table' on Thursday afternoon and headed off for a night of luxury. We certainly weren't disappointed!!

Other Reviews describe in intimate detail the quality of the dining experience so I won't repeat the obvious. But an overall perspective cannot be ignored!!

This place is not inexpensive! My wife liked the sound of the tasting menu - so off we went down the expensive road of gastronomic delight. Some seven hundred dollars later though intensely satisfied, we were asking ourselves what had we spent our money on? This is the same question that we ask ourselves every time we travel? And the answer is the same - we had purchased an 'experience'!! Sure there are a range of great restaurants in Melbourne where the food may even be better? But nothing compares with the seventeen star 'experience' that we enjoyed at Vue de Monde - from the view, to the quality of service, the culinary experience all the way down to the absolutely weird table furniture!

So if experience is your 'thing' - then make sure that Vue de Monde is on the Bucket List! But unlike a travel experience that we get to talk to our friends about; this one has had a discussion moratorium slapped on it by my wife who is somewhat embarrassed by the investment. So what am I left with? I guess that it's similar to the feeling I imagine one enjoys after a night of passion with a high class escort - great experience but you can't tell anyone!! But one thing for certain - it beats the heck out of a cheeseburger and fries!!

Reviewed 1 March 2012

We are about to take our Seachange and a colleague offered to take us to Vue de Monde at level 55 Rialto Tower as a farewell gesture.

Our hosts chose a degustation menu which in my opinion, is unsurpassed in Australia - in food presentation (and the theatrical waiters), the delicate French tastes and unique variety of the table settings of various shaped rocks (and even the cutlery and serving plates seemed to change each course and by individual person).

The "view of the world" name was well chosen, with unbroken views of Melbourne CBD and extended suburbia.

The style reminded us of a previous experience at Jules Verne restaurant in the Eiffel Tower - it was that good!. I am glad we were not paying - very expensive.