New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #22 of 79 Hotels in Perth
Adelaide, Australia
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Booked this hotel because of it's closeness to all the facilities in the Perth CBD (We have stayed there before several times). Arrived at 1 pm & was told that our room would definitely NOT be available for 1 hour evem though we had requested an earlier checkin due tom the fact I had a business meeting to attend. The front counter girl eventually found us a room after she realised that our company used the hotel for all its staff.after that everything was excellent although check out was slow due to the lack of staff.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room at the rear of the hotel as the front ones can be noisy
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I've stayed in some dives in South East Asia, but all of them were better than the Mantra on Murray. I stayed in room 418 on the 23rd and 24th of February 2012. The company I work for paid for the room via a travel agent, thank god, but they sure got ripped off. It says on the receipt that they paid $587.88 a night but surely there's some mistake. It must have been for two nights. Maybe not - I just checked wotif and the prices are extortionate. Is there some hotel shortage in Perth? It was supposed to be a 'business suite' with a King bed, but it was a stuffy little box and the bed, while comfy, was not bigger than a queen. And guess what - even paying that rate, staff informed me upon check in that no breakfast and no internet was included. That costs A LOT extra. The room had a depressing layout, tiny and poky, only one small window looking out onto a back alley and brick wall. Crappy old tv. I think a previous review described the furniture as something IKEA stopped selling ten years ago. It was worse. It was something that Fantastic Furniture would never even dare to sell, it was so ugly and uncomfortable. And that's really saying something.The room was non smoking, but smelled like smoke - as if it was coming up out of the drains or something. Weird. When I got there, there was a half eaten chocolate bar and some other items in the mini bar, old food etc. I told at least 3 people on reception over two days, but nothing was done. I'm going to check my credit card to make sure they don't charge me for it! Housekeeping leaves something to be desired. The shampoo hadn't been replaced, and was half empty when I first arrived. After the room was made up I found my coffee cup back in the cupboard with coffee drips and stains still on the in and outside of the cup. Front desk staff didn't seem to give much of a [--] about anything. If you read my other reviews you'll see I'm not generally fussy about hotels at all but I had to write something about this place because it was such a shocker for the price they're charging. I'm actually going to call up the travel agent my company uses and beg them not to make anyone else stay there. It's highway robbery! Oh yeah, and the air conditioner. It sounded like a truck changing gears. It was so loud and grinding that I couldn't sleep. And you can't turn it off because the teeny windows don't open and the boxy room is like an oven after a couple of minutes. I was just amazed the place was so bad.

3 Thank SimoneK
Chonburi, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I paid AU$124/night for this hotel via the Mystery Hotel option of a popular Australian website. A week after I checked out I noticed a AU$12.25 charge on my credit card from this hotel, without any consent, acknowledgement or authorization from me. The hotel is claiming I consumed a mini bar item, but I believe this is simply a SCAM to steel money from their guests. They hope nobody notices the charge, and the hotel gets free money. For this reason I would stay away from this hotel, this is highly unethical.

My second complaint is with the air conditioning units. The A/C units stop working after 2 hours because the condensation water needs to be drained from the unit. So if you plan to use A/C for longer than 2 hours at a time, expect to have to drain the air conditioning unit to do so. What happened with my stay is I started the A/C at night, and had a poor sleep because the A/C turned off after 2 hours when the water was full.

Parking here is AU$22/day and Internet is hourly or something so ridiculous I don't even remember AU$30/day

Room Tip: unethical hotel. skip it.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mattfs218
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

If ever there was a reason why more hotels need to be built in perth this is it, both myself and my coworker had rooms with rattly airconditioning and blocked drains in the bathroom sink, my coworkers wardrobe door was broken. When we asked for them to be fixed we were laughed at.

Contruction work was taking place outside the front of the hotel.

Despite requesting a breakfast inclusive rate we were charged extra for cold scrambled eggs and associated accompanments, a real coffee was an additional four dollars more.

When we enquired about checking out the girl at the front desk said no problem but you will have to pay for the rest of the booked stay despite the problems with the rooms.

I will now be blacklisting all Mantra hotels for the five different groups of companies that i am chairman of.

Room Tip: Stay in a hotel elsewhere
2 Thank Anthony T
Dubai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I have to admit, I was unprepared for the Mantra @ Murray. I believed, at over 650AUD, that the hotel would be a home away from home. I had planned to spend nearly 2 weeks in Perth, but decided against it, wholly due to this hotel.

I found a room kitted out with furniture that IKEA stopped selling 10 years ago. A cavernous room devoid of any attempt of welcoming the weary traveller.

A service that was second to everything. As an example, I was immediately threatened with a 200 AUD fine if I smoked, and UI had to sign to confirm I had received said warning.

Whilst I am still horribly ensconced in Mantra, I hope to escape tomorrow or, failing that, Wednesday, to either a backpackers hostel, or get my ticket out of Perth.

2 Thank ScotsExpatDubai