“Cosy, Convenient and Affordable”

Mountway Holiday Apartments
Ranked #66 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Cosy, Convenient and Affordable”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We booked a room for 2 adults and one child and chose a room with one single bed and one double bed. The room is cosy and clean. It comes with a kitchen equipped with a 2 door refrigerator, a microwave, kitchen utensils, a toaster, a kettle and an induction cooker. However, i brought my own small pot, just in case. They also provided a bottle of dish washing liquid and a scrub but I brought my own sponge. The kitchen sink has two taps, one for hot water and one for cold water so it makes washing dishes a bit hard especially when it's cold. The kitchen is very clean and tidy.
The toilet has a bath tub and the sink is equipped with a tap that flows both hot and cold water so you don't have to worry about washing your face with either too hot or too cold water. They also provided towels and soaps. The apartment should provide a shelf to put all the toiletries by the sink so that the stuffs won't be scattered all over. Also, they should have a rubber mat for the tub to avoid slipping.
The room has a small balcony with a small table and 2 chairs where you can dine at. There is also a cupboard and an iron with an ironing board. They also provide a clothes rack for you to hang your wet towels on, which is very convenient. The only gripe is that the light in the room is a bit too dim and there is no hairdryer in the room. You can ask to borrow a hairdryer from the reception but it would be a hassle.
Since it is a serviced apartment, it does not have daily housekeeping so your rubbish and trash will accumulate. We stayed for 6 days and 5 nights and not once did they come to clean our room, even though they say they would clean it every 4 days.
The staffs were friendly. Before we arrived, we sent an email asking if we can check in early because our flight arrives Perth at 5.45am and by the time we reach the apartment it was before the check in time. We were lucky that the hosts were kind and obliging and replied our email promptly and asked us to go to the reception which opens at 8.00am. When we reached the apartment, a room was ready and they let us in. We were given a map and a brief guide to the city, which helped a lot. Our child was also given an activity pack which includes some colouring pages, crayons and a box of cocoa pops.
The location of the apartment is very strategic as it is only a few minutes walk to the city and there is also a bus station for the Green Cat bus (free bus service) nearby.
I would definitely recommend Mountway Apartment to those traveling to Perth.

Room Tip: All rooms face the freeway so you just have to bear the sounds of the traffic. But then again, traff...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Izyan D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
eaton, w.a
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights recently.the rooms are simple yet adequate, and at roughly $100 a night for a room with foxtel, wifi and a kitchen you can't get a better deal in perth. It's not luxury accommodation, but the staff are friendly and the city is close and that's good enough to make me return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ash-explores
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

The room was clean and spacious, and it was convenient walking distance to town and the convention centre. Noise from the freeway was negligible. On the downside, the bed was hard and uncomfortable. Overall, given the price this place was great.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank courtzt
Jakarta
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I should make it clear, I am a regular visitor at Mountway and have I believe some 27 extended stays (typically 1-2 months at a time) since 2008.

I can only agree with Mr Bergin’s comments to two recent very negative reports, including “understand that Mountway is not every-ones cup-of-tea”. Mountway does not have a swimming pool (or Spa or Wellness centre!), a 3* Michelin Restaurant or 24 hour room service.

But in its own field it provides fair priced accommodation in a great location, in well sized self-contained studio apartments. I normally travel on my own or with my wife, we want a comfortable bed, a kitchen we can handle, television (and hopefully cable) and peace & quiet. Evidently Mountway meets these requirements. Although not outfitted to The Architectural Digest standards, the fittings are comprehensive, clean and functional. Mountway in my opinion is staffed by professionals who are contrary to those recent reports, are responsive to guests needs. You will note in previous guest comments praise indeed for staff many by name in including Mr Bergin and Polly.

It should be noted that, Mountway is within 5 minutes’ walk of the city, a key reason for staying here, anything else nearby is very significantly more expensive, but in my humble opinion, are not necessarily a better product. Mount Street is the most expensive residential street within the city due to its proximity to Kings Park and views of the Swan River.

You would be aware that Western Australia has some of the most comprehensive, definitive, and wide-ranging standards and requirements for accommodation. It goes without saying Mountway meets them in their entirety or they would not be in business. Regular inspections by a variety of government agencies ensure visitors to our Capital City, have safe, secure and hygienic lodgings. It somewhat irks me, that ill-founded comments against establishments such as Mountway can be inferred to denigrate the State governments oversight.

I would end with stating I have received no inducements to prepare this message or contact Trip Advisor. I do it because, the place where I feel most welcome has been the target for ill-considered comments, effectively not only denigrating Mountway but Guests who stay here…including me.

Room Tip: I prefer the end rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank brocklehirst
Perth
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I rung to confirm my booking and possibly extend my stay for two more nights. When I said we would be using my wife's credit card but only I was staying the manager did not want a bar of it saying it would be cash only or no stay. This man is the rudest hotel manager I have ever meet and I will tell anyone who asks for accommodation advise about Perth not to use them and will never recommend these apartments to anyone. When booking alternative accommodation and discussing the Mountway debacle with the new hotel manager she said she had heard this about Mountway before and is not surprised.

Stayed April 2014
5 Thank BrentFran
John B, General Manager at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
The complete story is as follows.
It became apparent that the credit card declined so on contacting him he told us that his card was stolen on Sunday and he cancelled it. His 'wife' was in hospital and could we use her card? His wife had a different family name to him so I told him that we could not use his wife's card as the bank had advised us not to accept credit cards over the phone from third parties when the card holder would not be present at check-in, so quite reasonably I was reluctant to accept the card. Later he phoned me back to say he couldn't see a problem with it and he ask me would I like to speak to his wife, and I declined to do so. He was very unhappy with that and because he was highly stressed and annoyed and couldn't get me to do what he wanted he thought he would damage our business by leaving a comment on Trip Advisor. We love Trip Advisor and in this case it gives me the opportunity to let the followers know that we do not accept expired, declined credit cards or cards from third parties where the card holder would not be present at check-in. If any-one out there accepts Fawlty credit cards please call me John Bergin GM since 2002.....Mob 0403008145

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels