“Awesome cocktails, followed by awesome food”
Review of Azabu

Azabu
Ranked #2 of 2,344 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: US$18 - US$37
Reviewed 13 October 2016

Interior has a crisp, Japanese aesthetic with good ambience from the buzz of people.
Excellent cocktails.
Food was Japanese fusion, and fantastic. Sushi rolls are amazing.
Surprisingly good value too. Had 5 dishes between 2 and that was plenty.
Great addition to Ponsonby Road.
#loveakl

There are newer reviews for Azabu

Reviewed 1 October 2016 via mobile

Japanese-Peruvian!

I've been waiting to write this review until I visited Azabu a second time. Azabu was officially my first meal in Auckland a week ago and it's officially now my favorite restaurant in the South Pacific.

From the outside one might miss this stealthy restaurant as it virtually has no signage - reminiscent of all the best places in NYC. But this place requires zero gimmicks to attract its legions of devout patrons every night. Let the food and ambience do the talking!

Dimmly lit inside with simple chic decor, this is THE PLACE for a night out with your foodie friends as the concept is to share plates. Heck you can even invite your drunk friends as it houses a bar in the far back. Dancey, uptempo music pipes through the speakers which sets the tone for your dining experience. Good-looking servers methodically intertwin with runners as they graciously bring out each plate and interpret the masterpiece that's sitting in front of you - the presentation alone gets 5-stars, it's seriously a work of art.

May I talk about the food now!?!

I've tried the follwing items and believe me when I say this, each one is a masterfully crafted experience for your palette. It's a mind-blowing sensation of sorts as so many combinations of ingredients mesh seamlessly together.

Grilled Octopus - I've NEVER had octopus like this before! Perfectly TENDER octopus with yuzu pepper soy, aji amarillo (Peruivan mild yellow chile) mash potatoes, shichimi tatar and chives

Sashimi Tostada - Don't get me started on the quality of fish here! The Tuna was definitely a Grade 1 (highest quality ranking). Served with corn, wasabi tartar, picked daikon, chopped jalapeño and coriander (cilantro for my Cali friends haha)

Snapper Ceviche - I've had a lot of fish ceviche in my day not like these big chunks. Snapper marinated in lime soy dressing, plum dressing, aji amarillo and topped off with tobiko (cavier).. this is a must try!

Salmon Tiradito - 10 pieces of the creamiest, firmest, richest salmon you'll have! The salmon is marinated in leche de tigre (citrus based marinade) with passion fruit and coconut cream sauce eloquently surrounding the plate and topped with crispy spaghetti squash. You'll literally want to lick the plate to get every last bit of that sauce!

Rainbow Sushi Roll - Yes yes yessss! I know what you're thinking - that sounds like a typical sushi roll. It's faaaaar from typical here at Azabu! I watched the Raw Bar chef lovingly assemble this pièce de résistance and was blown away by his technique and attention to detail. Salmon Avocado inside Tuna, Salmon and Hamachi Kingfish outside.

Eggplant Tempura - veggie lovers dream! Lightly breaded and deep fried eggplant stacked with hatcho miso and spring onions.

Braised Pork Cheek Bun - Azabu's twist on the classic bao! A soft milky bun stuffed with delicious slow cooked pork drizzled with a sweet, tangy tamarind sauce. I wouldn't share this if I were you

Reviewed 29 September 2016

This restaurant presented consistently excellent dishes. We shared 5 smaller plates and a dessert between 2. The salmon sashimi in a passionfruit coconut marinade was amazing, the goyza crisp and juicy, the tostada crispy without falling apart with delicious flavours, the tempura corn was tasty and innovative and the tempura prawns were beautifully cooked in a light batter. The tapioca dessert was full of little surprises and moreish.
The service was swift and excellent. They have an international wine list with good selection by the glass.
5 small plates , 3 glasses of wine and dessert. $140.
They take bookings and have limited parking at the back. We will be back.

Reviewed 28 September 2016 via mobile

My 3rd visit to this relatively new venue confirmed that they continue to do everything right. Fantastic food with stunning flavours, a great atmosphere and best of all, given Auckland restaurants so often get this bit wrong, superb, friendly, knowledgeable service. Trust them, they know what they're doing! I'll be back, for sure.

Reviewed 9 September 2016 via mobile

The snapper ceviche was the best thing I've ever had. Seriously! I had a seat at the bar so I watched the magic happen