“Wonderful Sushi, Kid friendly”
Review of Banzai

Banzai
Ranked #223 of 2,456 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 May 2017

A great little Japanese restaurant hidden amongst the Chinese eating establishments in the Balmoral scene. We tried to get a table on the Wednesday night at 6pm but the place was packed. Went back the next night and enjoyed some great sushi and teriyaki. Wonderful service and the food was great... perhaps not as authentic as one has experienced in Japan and perhaps lacking some of the Japanese finesse but certainly tasty. Plenty of books and toys to keep the kids entertained.

1  Thank PaulH1961

Reviewed 28 April 2017

This is the place I judge all other Japanese restaurants by, and few if any measure up. I come to this place more than any other, because I'm a huge sushi fan, the food here is the best and it's very reasonable priced, especially as it's BYO as well. I take people here who don't like Japanese food (crazy eh?), and they all come away liking Japanese food.

The place is quite small and busy, so reservations are a wise idea, parking directly outside is probably a no-go, but it's easy enough on Dominion Rd.

1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

Went for the first time for Japanese dinner after lots of recommendations from family and friends. A very small place but the service that we got from the staff there was A+++. Very polite and quick to attend when required. What can I say about the food it was just too good tasty and quick turn around as well. There sushi was amazing and the Prawn dishes was just of the chart.

Will for sure go there again. Love Japanese food now.

1  Thank Rajesh L
Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

Visited with a partner who has recently been sick so could not order sushi or sashimi (raw fish). So we ordered differently to usual. Gyoza and salt and pepper squid. Plus a spicy garlic udon with beef. She had a lemon green tea and I had a Sapporo beer. All up $40nzd. The waitress did not give us side plates and we ate off napkins, however we did not ask. The spicy udon was spicy by virtue of the s&P? Type chilli shaker spice that is popular in Auckland Japanese restaurants. This chili was full of msg and I could feel it dancing on my tongue. The beer was cold and cheap. Gyoza a little small and salt and pepper squad was standard. Nothing to complain or write home about. Sushi and sashimi on previous visits was very good. Good prices mains are $12-15. A favourite neighbourhood eatery.

Reviewed 29 December 2016

Japanese food, great selection. Small setting.. great for casual meet ups. I loved it.. Scallops for entree a must and the service is as good as any Masterchef restaurant. I will be back !!

1  Thank Michelle S