Frienz Backpacker Hostel Auckland
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I paid for the wrong amount of nights and they wouldn't refund the extra night only give me a credit to stay at the hostel (not even handy as i wasn't returning to auckland)
The place was rundown with wallpaper peeling off the walls, staff unfriendly, bathrooms so moist and disgusting I couldn't even bring myself to shower in them, the rooms were dirty with the effort of them being cleaned was unacceptable and no duvet covers with the quilts stained yellow.
Never again will stay there and have recommended to others to not stay there.
The only positive thing is that it was located right in the centre of the city.

Room Tip: Dont stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Unknown255093

Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

On se demande où est l'isolation des fenêtres. I had hairs on my sheets and I came in my room... No copboards. Tiny rooms. You don't want to stay there longer. The showers are tiny too. I was not felt well in this establishement. A lot of stairs, the lift was out...

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

This was leaps and bounds better than the other two hostels I tried in downtown Auckland. One was unsafe, and the other tried to nickle and dime you for everything.

The price may be higher than some others, but it seems to have adequate services included. Very few places offer computers for free even if the connection is slow.

The downside is that there are a lot of people and cooking can get congested. The main area is loud, but I had no issues in the room.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 30 May 2013

The main issue of my stay was no sleep due to all the noise. I guess if you want to be in party central all night, this is the place. But if you wish to get some sleep don't choose this place. The walls are paperthin which results in you hearing all conversations around you while trying to have timeout in your room. I finally managed to fall asleep at 4.30am even though there was still people coming walking down hallway while talking loudly. I had got my own room as I was exhausted, but think I should have just paid more and gone elsewhere. It was in great location, but there are many places to stay in area. The place was very basic. The room stated Thursday was its cleaning day. That is not much considering the amount of people that head through here. The office staff were helpful. The showers were very basic. I have stayed in many hostels over the years so am comparing to other hostels. When comparing this is one of the worst I have stayed in. Would not recommend sorry.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2013

No idea why this place seems to have so many bad reviews! I stayed at Frienz for just 2 nights but would happily have stayed longer if I hadn't been moving on from Auckland. Location was good, central, easy access from the airport shuttle, friendly atmosphere, met some really nice people in a short space of time. Came on a Thursday which was the pub crawl which was fun and good value. Rooms were clean and comfortable considering the price, bathrooms seemed fine...they did the job! Free wifi on the computers in the lobby, nice little TV/lounge area, standard kitchen. Basically has all the requirements of a good backpackers at a decent price (oh and it's unlicensed so you can bring your own booze, yay!) I'd stay again if I came back to Auckland.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo