Frienz Backpacker Hostel Auckland
SKYCITY Hotel(Auckland Central)
US$130
US$119
  • Restaurant
VR Auckland City(Auckland Central)
US$89
US$85
  • Breakfast included
Crowne Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$119
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
Waldorf Celestion Apartment Hotel(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$78
Orbitz.com
  • Free Internet
US$184
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Kiwi International Hotel(Auckland Central)
US$40
US$39
  • Restaurant
VR Queen Street(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
US$129
Trip.com
  • Restaurant
Pullman Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
  • Pool
Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
  • Fitness centre
  • Free Internet
Grand Millennium Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 June 2015 via mobile

This hostel is absolutely fine if you need a cheap place to lay your head in Auckland! The 16 bed dorms were a bit too big for me (personal preference) and I didn't find it particularly social as there are many long-termers who all tend to stick together.

Bad bits: Reception isn't open 24-hour which we didn't realise so couldn't get our $20 key deposit back (will pick it up on a later trip to Auckland though).

Best bits: was the computers are free to use and are connected to the Internet. Felt reasonably clean.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2015

This was my first hostel in New Zealand. I'm pretty happy with my stay here. The atmosphere was lively as there were a lot of people so making friends was not a problem. I liked that the security was good (password which changes daily at front door, key to every level) and that the rooms and shared bathroom were clean. I only stayed for 2 nights so I did not get a chance to participate in the activities that they had but having different activities organised every night does make the place more lively and fun.

The hostel is in the middle of the CBD so everything is within walking distance but if you drive there's also parking available right across the street. It can get expensive however.

The only cons to this place is that the rooms are rather small with very little space for your things so you really need to take care of your valuables. There's also limited power plugs and some inconsiderate people may hog it all so I suggest bringing extensions.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2015 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here on two occasions over our 6 weeks in New Zealand and really enjoyed our stay both times. Check in was easy and the staff were helpful when looking for things to do in the area. We stayed in the 12 bed dorm, which was spacious and clean. The second time we stayed the room was quite hot but once the windows were opened we were fine. The beds were numbered so there weren't any bed wars and we were guaranteed a bunk together which was nice. There are lockers in the rooms as well which are assigned to your bed which was awesome. The kitchen was nice, cleaner the second time we stayed we think due to low season, and plenty of crockery to go around. We loved the free BBQ on Friday night - we were given very generous portions! The rooftop area was really nice and was good for meeting people. A slight downfall was that there were a lot of long termers staying here who didn't really want to mix with others but that was okay as we met plenty of people in the room to have a drink with! Another slight negative was that you had to stop drinking at 10pm which is understandable but the way the staff approached it was quite patronising and they demanded that you finished your drink dead on 10 - a bit military but nothing that put us off! The hostel was in a really good location (virtually on Queen Street and next to Albert Park) and was secure at night which is ideal when you're close to a populated road. Overall would recommend and would definitely stay again!

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2015

I booked a night for 5 people using they website, at the end of the booking it appeared that I had paid 6.85 NZ$ but when I checked my bank account I realised they charged 40 cents of NZ$ more, not a big deal. However as this seemed unusual the day of the checkin I asked some clarification. The only answer I received was: "It is not our responsibility, because when you book from our web-site you directed to another website" and second arrogantly he told me "This is a difference of 40 cents, I will give you 40 cents from my pocket"! That man was awful! I was asking what was going on with the booking not the money back! Beside that, the hostel is just an average hostel in the city centre of Auckland, so if you can avoid it!

P.S. Then I found by myself the reason why they charged me more: when you book through frienz website, regardless of which currency you pay (even if you use a NZ credit card) they charge in GB pounds, so you have to pay the conversion!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Giuseppe L
Reviewed 19 April 2015

Hostel was fine, good location. We had a late checkin and we were easily able to obtain our keys but when we got to our room we saw that one of the beds had been slept in. There were items on the bed and the sheets were wrinkled. I really didn't like the idea of sleeping in a previously slept in bed, so I crawled in bed with my boyfriend. The next morning I let reception know and I asked that we wouldn't have to pay for one of the beds. She said she would talk to her supervisor. We had to checkout early that morning so I followed up with an email regarding my refund, only to be told that the room was checked after we left and no one slept in that bed (not sure how they determined that) and no refund would be issued. Pretty poor customer service, in my opinion, and they basically said I was making it up.

If you are considering staying at Frienz, keep in mind that if something does not go smoothly, you may not be accommodated. With such lovely hostels in NZ, why bother with it.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple