“My Go-To in Auckland”

Frienz Backpacker Hostel Auckland
Reviewed 23 July 2016

I've stayed at this hostel long term twice now and it's still one of my favourites. If you need somewhere long term and don't want to stay at a chain its a pretty good option. Rooms are pretty cheap, beds are comfortable and showers are okay. Biggest downside is the VERY expensive wi-fi, but there are computers in the lounge area that have unlimited internet and are free to use. Has quite a few free events and the staff have never been anything but helpful and kind. Kitchen is currently being rebuilt - but it's still working and has a lot of new equipment for use.

Room Tip: Water pressure in third floor showers is poor - try and stay on 2nd or 4th.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank DMon13

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 June 2016 via mobile

I had to move from one hostel to another and the staff recommended Frienz.. The price was cheapest of all hostels I've stayed in, $26 for a 12 bed dorm, and location was great with good security. That's about all that was worth while about the place. I felt like I was back in Southeast Asia with how uncomfortable the bedding was. The pillow was a bit of a joke! Charging my devices was a constant battle for free power outlets and they weren't close to the beds. Finding space to put your belongings was even more of a struggle. The rooms were a mess. My friend and I ended up sharing a single bed so we could use the top bunk to store our things and used the extra blanket as a curtain over the bottom because there was no privacy at all in the rooms. Only 1 light for the whole room so knowing when it was acceptable to turn the light on and off was also difficult with that many people in one dorm. Also, when I checked in, the receptionist made me feel bad for not having my passport, but I'm a kiwi!? It seemed so weird to me that in my own country, she had to "make an exception" by accepting my drivers license. Nobody else has had an issue with it at the other places I've stayed!

Over all, glad it was cheap but it's unlikely I'll be back!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 March 2016 via mobile

I don't normally care that much about free wifi but I just fine free computers but no free wifi to be so strange. I did actually need to get some things done on the Internet but needed to use my laptop but no you have to pay for that. Get a grip- the entire city of Auckland provides free wifi but you can't even though I am paying nearly $30 a night?! I like the assigned bed thing they do and the kitchen was fine. It was fine- I don't have any other hostel experience in Auckland to compare it to but it did the job for one night.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2016

So after 11 months of traveling New Zealand I had 3 weeks to kill in Auckland. A friend told me about Frienz and I thought I'd give it a go (thinking it would be more welcoming than the bigger hostels) I didn't like the fact you got 'allocated' a bed in the dorm, so you couldn't choose if you wanted a top or bottom bunk. Reception were kind enough to swap me the day after when another bed became free.
The 12 bed dorm i was in was so hot and we were only provided with a duvet and not a thinner sheet. A lot of the people in the dorm seemed to be workers or come in at stupid hrs too so the max sleep you would get was about 3 hrs undisturbed. Everyone seemed to be very clicky and nobody spoke.
That was just the small things... I was taking a shower on my first morning when i heard someone stood outside my shower for ages. I girl then shouted over "how long you going to be cos i need to clean" I was fuming at the point that i felt the need to rush my shower. When i spoke to reception about this they had a word with the girl who then started crying, and they felt the need to tell me this as they 'apparently' didn't mean it in a rude way, which then made me feel bad and went to go speak to her!
The worst one was on my 3rd day, I went to use the kitchen for the first time and in the space of 2 minutes i saw 4 cockroaches crawling around the walls and where the cutlery is stored!!! Again I told reception and his answer was "yeah it's a very old building so we can get them, there's not much we can do".

Yes I know this is a budget hostel at $28 a night but you expect a bit better don't you think!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Vicki T
Reviewed 12 December 2015

The reception staff here were absolutely brilliant. Cannot fault the two girls that i met and talked with. The hostel is kept incredibly clean and much much nicer than other places i have stayed. It's pretty cheap and i returned once and was greeted as if id known them for years. It was brilliant!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple