“Very disappointed”
Review of The Culpeper

The Culpeper
Ranked #258 of 2,403 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Description: So this is exactly what you think of when you think of The Culpeper. It’s light and bright until night and then it’s bright and light until later. It’s about relaxing; hanging with a bunch of friends or the good crew from the office. It’s ‘grab some lunch’ but with a hazy plan about what’s on this afternoon; it’s a cocktail or two after five and a totally easy dinner kind of thing. We’re right on the water’s edge so you know it’s going to be ‘at ease’. Our owner thinks we’re here to celebrate food, fun and friends; we think we’re here for a good time (and a long time)… Remember every good time is made up of moments. At The Culpeper, making the most of the moment is up to you.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

For a start we were put in the back corner of the restaurant at 5.30pm. Which looked like we were in Denny's. Not a good start really. The Brisskett was half crisel (fat) the salard was swimming in dressing. The hot greens were also cold. Then the Hot Apple Pie was cold on the inside. We may of just hit a bad day. But really restaurants charging high prices should have better prepared food. Hoping you have a better experience .

shar_manager, Manager at The Culpeper, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello Jo
Firstly I am very sorry you were put in a corner table at 5.30pm. The staff are trained to ask if you want to be inside or outside and then we seat appropriately.

I am unhappy that our food wasn't up to our usual standard. I have spoken to the chefs about this and we will make improvements accordingly.

I hope you will give us another chance and come back and enjoy what The Culpeper has to offer.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great food but service needs some serious attention. Staff spent more time talking and hiding than serving. Head staff didn’t want to serve and we had to seek service every time we ordered. Felt like we inconvenienced them! Feel sorry for the chefs as the food was good, wouldn’t go back.

Good Afternoon,

I am sorry to hear your experience with us wasn't up to our usual standard. I am trying to work along with the staff to ensure they are always giving their 100% but I see in this situation it wasn't the case.

I am pleased you enjoyed the food and I will pass this onto our chefs.
I am also sorry to hear you wouldn't be coming back as I do think we are a great restaurant and we are constantly trying to improve on our service.
We hope you change your mind and give us another chance.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having had a most enjoyable day in Aukland from the liner Queen Elizabeth we decided to visit this dockside restaurant during Happy Hour. We were promptly seated and served with excellent NZ beers and sauvignon blanc in the evening sun. We also enjoyed some tasty corn dogs. An excellent visit.

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for joining us at The Culpeper during our famous Happy Hour.
We are pleased you enjoyed the drinks and the corn dogs.

Thank you for the review.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Dropped in last night for dinner. Happy hour extends to 7pm and includes wine for $5 and cocktails for $10. We had a whole grilled fish, tasty corkscrew shaped chips, and grilled broccolini. Food was delicious we were well satisfied. My only complaint was the music. I can't recall ever being so annoyed by both the volume (very loud) and the choice (very poor) in a restaurant setting. What could be described as "easy listening music" from the early 1970s, which would have been far more at home playing quietly in elevators or supermarkets. Not blasting out the likes of "The Green, Green Grass of Home" and some lesser numbers from Paul Macartney and Wings, to harass diners on a a Saturday night in a trendy restaurant. Was it hipster irony I wonder? Or just incredibly poor taste, or no thought at all. If you don't put the effort into selecting good music, then turn it down, or preferably off.

Hello Adrienne, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Happy Hour and the food. I apologize for the music being terrible and very loud. I have since then worked on updating our music playlist and having it turned slightly down so it is not so in your face.

We are still running our Happy Hour specials everyday from 4-7pm and also $2 rock oysters during the same time for the month of April.

We hope to see you again at the Culpeper soon.

warm regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Extremely disappointed to arrive at destination this evening & told the $2 oyster special was for pacific rather than the Bluff Oysters led to believe through their misleading advertising. This is blatantly dishonest...Simon Gault, Gareth Stewart and co...you should be ashamed of this disgraceful promotion!

shar_manager, Manager at The Culpeper, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Rich,
Sorry to read your review.
In correlation to the $2 oyster promotion at The Culpeper, the marketing of this promotion does not and never has referred to Bluff Oysters. In all marketing communications we have used clear messaging and imagery. As per our promotion it is $2 Oysters, not $2 Bluff Oysters. I apologise for your misunderstanding and if you would like to continue this conversation please call 0 932 05331.

Best Regards,