“Very convenient, downtown.”

Copthorne Hotel Grand Central New Plymouth
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in New Plymouth
Reviewed 17 April 2008

Copthorne Hotel Grand Central

A good, basic hotel. Even though in the literature its says resort, I would not for a moment consider this a resort. The rooms are good size and reasonably clean, although older worn furnishings. The bath is nice, with all the free soaps, shoe wipes and shower caps you could want. The shower is huge, I think the tub some kind of whirl pool, or something because it would randomly growl at me. I'm told the hotel is a converted furniture store, and the layout is kind of unusual. The restaurant is very good, especially breakfast. The internet is wireless and in some of the rooms kind of spotty. I'd say it's good enough for your emails but not much else. The internet is not free either, $29 kiwi a day. I'd stay here again for business, just not to impress anyone.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 23 October 2007

What a dump! I stayed at the Grand Central for 2 nights on business last week and was really disappointed. My room was horrible. It was almost windowless, just one tiny window at the top of the wall...too high for me to see out and too small to let in any light to speak of. I think the room was a converted storage cupboard, and I felt very much like I was in a detention centre. The food in the restaurant was rubbish...bland, poorly presented and unappealing. On my second morning I went to a nice cafe next to the hotel and discovered quite a few of the hotel guests there also having their breakfast, so I don't think I was alone in my opinion of the food. I did ask to be moved to a less depressing room, but was told that wouldn't be possible as the hotel was at 100% occupancy...I saw no more than 10 different guests in 2 days, and the place was really quiet. Not at all like the sounds and sights of a fully booked hotel...I definitely won't be back.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2006

The hotel is centrally situated and inexpensive as we had a special weekend rate including breakfast. You can even park your car for free in their car park. We had a king bed room with spa bath which was very clean and well maintained and as we were on the top (3rd) floor we had a lovely view of the sea. The room was large, as was the bathroom, and we were very comfortable for the 1 night we spent in New Plymouth.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 September 2005

Extremely dissappointed with this hotel. Poor service as soon as we checked in. Rude staff and was made to wait two hours after check in time for our room with no reason given.

Room was very average with average size beds and average decor with average service.

Hotel facilities very limted and again average. Restaurant looked ok but was very pricey.

We won't be recommending this hotel to our family or friends.

Many far superior hotels in this area at half the price. If you are happy with average then stay at this hotel

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 August 2004

This is one of those business and conference focused hotels typically found in medium sized tourist towns. It's clean and well run, with a very basic gymnasium, servicable guest laundry and lots of identical looking hallways. Our room was functional and predictable, with the usual twin double beds, basic cable and standard quality shampoo and soap. Staff were helpful and likeable without being overly enthusiastic. The food was pretty expensive looking, so we ate at the Irish Pub down the road instead. Basically, there was absolutely nothing remarkable about this place in either a positive or a negative sense, but it was pretty good value, especially given the great position, just off the main street and a short walk from the beach. Just be warned that the surprisingly heavy traffic in New Plymouth can make getting in and out at peak hour a problem. Where possible, lock up the car and walk instead.

4  Thank H R
King and Queen Hotel Suites
#1 of 30 in New Plymouth
1.2 km away
Quality Hotel Plymouth International

Been to Copthorne Hotel Grand Central New Plymouth? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Copthorne Hotel Grand Central New Plymouth

Address: 42 Powderham Street, New Plymouth 4310, New Zealand (Formerly Grand Central Hotel)
Region: New Zealand > North Island > Taranaki Region > New Plymouth
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Wheelchair access
#10 Business Hotel in New Plymouth
#13 Luxury Hotel in New Plymouth
Price Range: RM300 - RM498 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Copthorne Hotel Grand Central New Plymouth 4*
The hotel is ideally situated for conferences, special events and holidays, right in the heart of New Plymouth City only 10 minutes from the airport and 25 minutes from magnificent Mt Taranaki and Egmont National Park. This welcoming New Plymouth Hotel is also within strolling distance of the CBD, the main shopping centre, TSB Showplace events centre, restaurants, bars and cafes. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Copthorne Hotel Grand Central New Plymouth reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Copthorne Hotel Grand Central New Plymouth New Zealand - Taranaki