“Comfortable, clean and well located”

Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel
Ranked #19 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 June 2017

We stayed here for 3 nights whilst in Christchurch and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is well located in the heart of the city, which is also very easy to get navigate around on foot. Our room was up on floor 13 so we had great views out over the city. It was spacious and comfortable and having the gym accessible on floor 3 was great too (although anymore than 4 people and it becomes quite crowded as it isn't massive, but has most things you need). All the staff were helpful and friendly, from the breakfast crew to the concierge. The breakfast (which was included) was plentiful and varied. Would highly recommend for anyone looking to stay in Christchurch.

Room Tip: The higher floors attract a premium but offer great views over the city
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Atkos

Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. Fabulous room. Fantastic location. Lovely breakfast. Welcoming staff. What more can you ask for. The rooms were big and spotless. Had all the amenities. Right next to the cathedral. And 5 mins walk to the museum and gardens. Our room had the view of the cathedral when is under reconstruction due to the earthquake. I would recommend this hotel to all my fellow travellers

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

Great location, rooms are well appointed, although having the wash basin in the room rather than in the bathroom is a little odd. The TV is huge! The bed was extremely comfortable and overall the room was fairly quiet.
I didn't want to eat in house and eventually found a great Indian restaurant close by - unfortunately there are still not a lot if options in Chrustchurch since the earthquakes.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2017

The centrally located hotel with everything within walking distance from the hotel is modern built .Rooms are ok but toilets are small .
The service staff of housekeeping slow ..till 3 .30 p.m. our room left at 8.30 for cleaning was not cleaned !
While they checked in us early due to Accor membership they did not clean the room on day one as we had early morning flight and had to take baths after we checked in .
No towels replacement .
It is these small thing that matter to travellers that spoils the experience .
THe breakfast is the best part of the stay but the communications part is a dampner ..very slow wifi in the rooms in this age in such a big city .

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2017

We have been in Christchurch for business the past 4 days and decided to stay at the Novotel in the city centre.
The location is great, the rooms are nice with a great big TV, but I found the bed a little uncomfortable. The heating system is also very noisey and the bathroom tissue is that cheap 1 ply sandpaper type.The breakfast on level 1 each day was fantastic.

But then there were the disappointing features which are the difference between a good hotel and a very average one, especially when you're travelling.
My travel agent registered my Accor membership when the booking was made, but when checking in they couldn't find it so I was informed I would have to pay $10 per day for wifi access unless I could find my number, are you kidding me in these modern times??
After finding my number and getting into the wifi service we found it to be so slow with general work just timing out.
Due to our mid afternoon flight out of Christchurch we requested a later checkout from 11am until noon, but were told that extra hour was not possible.
The hotel leave a form on your bed each day welcoming feedback. I filled this in outlining my concerns at the level of facilities & service and handed it to the front reception, this was 18 hours prior to my checkout, although there is a telephone and a messaging service in my room at no time did management try to contact me to discuss my concerns. So all in all they really don't care that much.
Novotel Christchurch, you are very average.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business