“Good value central Hotel”

Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel
Ranked #19 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 October 2017

2 night stay for my brothers 60th. Adult son also stayed in a separate room one night. I used my free accor night on one of the nights and wanted to change my free breakfast , staff were more than accommodating and nothing was an issue. Excellent service overall, free drinks vouchers were appreciated and used ! Great central location, shame to see CHCH central CBD is still very quiet, quite sad.
Rooms very good , breakfast buffet was nice.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Jonathan6592, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Dear Andrew J,

Thank you for posting your review in Tripadvisor.

Congratulations to your brother on his 60th birthday! It is great to see you used your free night from your AccorPlus membership and that you had the opportunity to spend sometime with your family. I am pleased we were able to accommodate your request and that our service ticked all the right boxes.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!

Leo and the Team at Ibis

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Novotel (after being upgraded from the Ibis) at the start of our South Island leg and at the end after catching the TransAlpine from Greymouth and both stays were fantastic. From the friendly staff who greeted us each time, to the modern and comfortable rooms and the rain style shower head in the shower that was amazing after a long day!

The hotel is a short stroll to central Christchurch and has an abundance of great meal options within a stones throw.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear petejaus,

Thank you so much for posting your feedback. Fantastic to see you enjoyed your stay and that you were well looked after by our team. We are sure you took some great memories home from this holiday!

All the best from our team and we hope to see you again soon!

Leo and the Team at Novotel Christhcurch

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Hard to get to because roads are still closed. And for international travellers conning over its very hard. Über and cab drivers had difficulty dropping us back, 9 times out of 10 we were dropped a street back and told to just walk through that area.

Trainees on front desk when asked to see duty manager trainee doesn't get them.

No club lounge.

No free waters like other Novotels and as we are members no welcome drink or upgrades this is poor branding etc

New hotel so they say, poor execution in finishes NOT up to normal standards and very poor design. Bathroom sink no space for 2 peoples items little own a family using these rooms.

Bed is hard and uncomfortable! Be warned. Stayed in darling harbour for 3 nights piror to coming to Christchurch. One brand big difference.

I can't believe the difference between the brands, I am questioning our membership and we have been loyal for over 10 years. It's not good enough.

the IHG crown is just over and looks a lot easier to access I will be staying here next time.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Jonathan6592, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Dear AskAndrea,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It is with great disappointment that I learn it was not the amazing one we would have hoped for you. We strive to ensure our guests experience the best visits possible during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. This is certainly not the service we would expect for our guests and we are truly sorry about this.

I am really concerned that taxi and uber drivers were not bringing you to the hotel entrance as it is accessible directly from Colombo Street beside the Cathedral Square. This review in TripAdvisor is not connected to your reservation and I would like to follow this up appropriately by communicating with you directly so that we can find the best possible resolve for you. As a valued Accor loyalty member, I would like to take personal responsibility for ensuring that this is taken care of and I would encourage you to email me directly on H6592-GM@accor.com with your reservation details. I hope I will be able to continue the conversation with you.

It is wonderful that you have had great experiences at our sister property at Darling Harbour and that their team looked after you well. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to offer you that kind of experience here in the future.

Jonathan Dean

Reviewed 23 September 2017

This is my 4th stay at this hotel and the service is generally good except for one quite patronising reception staff (for instance, when he forgot to take my credit card, I asked, "Do you want to take my credit card as security for incidentals?" and his astonishing response was "Do you have one?"). The selection at the buffet breakfast on offer is average to slightly above average for hotels of this class. The rooms are clean and befits the Novotel standard, though the modern design of having the washbasin outside the bathroom is not my cup of tea. The Wi-Fi connection in the rooms, when working, is fantastically fast, but there is no Wi-Fi in the restaurant and bar. The bar is hardly ever staffed, but also hardly has patrons. Perhaps it is because the hotel changed ownership last year (though management remained with Accor), but the friendly vibrant staff of past years appears to have gone.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Ricky L

Dear Ricky L,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

I am truly sorry about your experience with one of our receptionists. I have spoken to him directly and we are now working on his delivery of customer service and how to improve it. This receptionist in particular receives positive feedback, but in this occasion he has let you down on his delivery of service. We will continue to monitor his performance and we will also provide him with additional training and coaching to make sure this does not recur.

Regarding the WiFi, I empathise with your frustration. This is something that we are currently addressing and the upgrade has already started. This will bring better connectivity to all areas of the hotel (especially public areas like the lobby and restaurant) as well as more stable speeds for downloads and uploads.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Leo and the Team at Novotel Christchurch

Reviewed 15 September 2017

This Novotel is directly across from the Christchurch Cathedral and quite literally in the midst of the CBD redevelopment. This was my 2nd stay there and I found it convenient and comfortable. The rooms have a bit of a quirky layout -- if/when you stay you will see how the sink is actually in the room and the bath has the toilet and shower. This is a different layout than most hotels.

The wifi is great, easy to use and fast. The room was spacious with an un-typically large TV screen. A shout out to Theresa and Janine in the breakfast buffet room who respectively make a great flat white and poach perfect eggs. Also, one can make fresh carrot and apple juice -- a very thoughtful touch.

Room Tip: 12th & 13th floor offer preferred guest amenities.