“Maybe our favorite restaurant experience over ten days”

Redcliff Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #2 of 35 Restaurants in Te Anau
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2017

We spent ten days on the south island, and this may have been our favorite dinner. Unique setting and atmosphere, friendly professional service, and tasty drinks. The lamb and fish were both prepared perfectly. The only downside was the tough, flavorless, (stale?) chocolate dessert ... but even the underwhelming finale did not mar the evening.

1  Thank tdsbu
There are newer reviews for Redcliff Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed 10 August 2017

My friend and I were traveling NZ on a budget but decided to splurge on this restaurant. It was a waste of money. We did not have a reservation but they took us anyway, which I think was their mistake. We waited forever to have our order taken. When we did order we decided to have an appetizer because we knew it would be a wait for our meal.
We took our time over our drink and our appetizer. The waiter came to pick up the dishes for that course and asked if we wanted the chef to start our meal now. Maybe this is a NZ thing but we had assumed that our meal was being prepared while we were nibbling on the appetizer. Finally our meal arrived. My venison was terrible. Tough and tasteless. My friends meal was OK but far from the gourmet fare we expected.
We found food in NZ was generally disappointing. Our best meals were in the ethnic restaurants - great Thai one in Queensland and a Middle Eastern restaurant in Auckland.
NZ does do a great job with pastries!! Stop in just about any bakery and get a treat.

4  Thank acercampestre
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

This place was recommended to us but a local. We arrived early for dinner as we hadn't lunch and had the whole place to ourselves. It has a great vibe, friendly and helpful staff and the food was incredible!! The serving sizes very generous and each dish we had was so tasty. For entrees I had the flower pot bread (delicious pumpkin seed bread cooked and served in a terracotta flower pot) which was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, and I had the venison for my main as I had never tried it before. It was so tender and delicious but I couldn't finish it. My husband had the soup of the day (tomato) and fish (cod) and chips with potatoes roasted in duck fat which again was perfectly cooked and so tasty. We will likely be back for lunch on return from Milford sound.

1  Thank gflo12
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is small and located in a small town. Manage to reserve a table for 8pax. Quality food and small portion. Staff are friendly. Price is steep but worth the experience.

1  Thank 286karing
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Had an amazing dinner here with my wife! Food is amongst the best in NZ surely - we were expecting not much at all, but ended up tasting one of the best beef and venison meals I've ever had! Service was fantastic, inside was warm and lovely, and there was a very good selection of wines and beers.

I'd highly recommend - not overly expensive at all either.

1  Thank James R