“genuine Vietnamese”
Review of Sai Gon Pho

Sai Gon Pho
Ranked #34 of 62 Restaurants in Queanbeyan
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

nice quiet spot in the rear of an arcade; genuine Vietnamese (quality food, quick service, spare decor, nice people); strong recommendation for locals or travellers

Date of visit: February 2021
Write a reviewReviews (4)
Reviewed 11 July 2019

It's a little known fact that Belinda Carlisle's classic "Heaven is a place on Earth" is about Sai Gon Pho. Once you've had your first spoonful of pho tai nam, you will learn what it means to be truly happy in life. Spoon by spoon, as you make your way through the generous serving, you will feel all your troubles in life melt away like the wicked witch of the west.

We've made Pho-riday a regular event; the perfect way to round off the week. This is the place to feed your soul and they really deserve your business - but please don't come on Fridays. You find your own day.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed 4 January 2019

My wife and I love pho. In the past few months, we have tried at least five places in Canberra and two places in Queanbeyan in the quest for the best pho. Simply put, this little place, tucked away in a nondescript pedestrian laneway off the main street in Queanbeyan, is it. The pho here is so good that I really am in two minds about submitting this review lest it encourage even more people to come here thereby making it harder for us to get a table!

What makes it so good? The critical component of pho is the broth. The broth here is quite phenomenal. It has a great depth and intensity of complex, beautiful flavour. You could honestly get away with not adding anything to it and it would still taste great. I could not say the same of anywhere else I have had pho.

The first sign that the pho here is going to be superior is the amount and freshness of the bean sprouts and, particularly, the Thai basil. It's fresh as in 'freshly picked straight out of the garden' fresh. None fresher in Canberra. Also, they provide four types of chilli: Fresh chilli, Sriracha chilli sauce (the red bottle at the table), chilli paste in oil and pickled chilli paste. I have not seen this anywhere else. I love chilli and thoroughly recommend adding all four. But for those somewhat wary of chilli, Sriracha sauce is not really hot and the pickled chilli paste is not hot. Of course, there is also the hoisin sauce (the brown bottle at the table) for additional flavour and a touch of sweetness. I recommend adding it. Make sure you squeeze the lemon wedge into the soup for that note of contrasting sourness.

My wife and I come here just about every week. Quite literally nearly every week. And we see the same people here every week. This place is clearly inspiring a dedicated following. Beyond the food, the service is friendly and efficient and the place is very neat and clean. Unfortunately, Sai Gon Pho has been closed over Christmas and it is killing me! But they re-open on Saturday 12 January. See you there.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed 17 November 2018 via mobile

I’m so glad I’ve found this place. I don’t have to go into Canberra for pho anymore. The pho is excellent This Place is legit I can not wait to try everything else on the menu.

Date of visit: November 2018