“My favorite”

Wollongong Keiraleagh Backpackers
Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

I came to this hostel as a backpacker looking for work and ended up staying because of the amazing people I have met whilst staying there. The entire hostel has a very sociable and relaxed vibe to it and the place has heaps of character. The owners and their dogs are great and all in all this hostel is by far my favorite in Australia.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Had a nice time at the place, the owner was friendly and tge area central, but quiet. It's just 10mins away from tve beach and shops and restaurants are just around the corner. The hostel has all facilities needed and is clean and tidy.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2017

Upon arriving at the hostel my friend was bitten on the leg immediately by a flea and there was a strong smell of dog being poorly disguised by some incense. I then spoke with the middle-aged female hostel owner who was argumentative with me and said I was being unreasonable. Then she accused me of calling her unreasonable. She must be inhaling too much incense... She said it was cash only which reeks of a tax evasion tactic and provided me with a handwritten cash receipt slip which is not worth the paper it is written on. I had paid online on HostelWorld a deposit on a room which was not available due to an admin error on their end. She stated that her business has no affiliation with HostelWorld which is the only reason I booked with them and the only reason I was there! No apology and when I questioned them on the price for the new room they were offering me she became rude, defensive, and wished to continue to argue with me. The whole place was filthy with mosquitos and fleas swarming the place. There was a wifi code posted for free wifie which didn't work... Just urgh....

Room Tip: DO not stay here
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Emily S
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

We stayed at Keiraleigh for a month, even though we only intended to stay for two nights. When we stayed the weather was very decent and with the beach so close we couldn't complain. At the time of our stay there was a great set of fellow travellers staying at the hostel. Some pass through and some stay longer for their work. We made some great friends and memories here, and I know that if we ever come close to Wollongong again we will return!
The room we stayed in was very adequate and comfortable for the price. Lockers were in the room and it was cleaned regularly, sheets changed etc. The en suite was a fairly new unit and felt pretty luxurious! (A rare thing when you use backpacker hostels). I know the owners have plans to make all of the bathrooms at the hostel like the en suite we had.
The sheltered outdoor area is comfortable and very sociable, furnished with impressive Balinese furniture. Some of the backyard may seem a bit disheveled but it actually gave it a more homely feel, and as the owners said, Keiraleigh is a work in progress and there are plans for the outdoor area in the future.
We found Keiraleigh to be a very special place, and we will certainly return at the next opportunity, until then, thank you!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2017

What is the point if your review does not tell the truth. I stayed here 3 years ago and was not impressed. This time around I booked not knowing or remembering I stayed there before. As soon as I saw the horror film front I remembered. It was a dirty place then and it still is but worse. Fies abound. You can't blame the people staying there as in other hostels you meet the same people. nearly all hostels have strict rules with regard to cleanliness. Here it is a free for all and everything is sticky and dirty. However, on a positive note there renovations going on so one day it may be a good place to stay

Room Tip: get a renovated room
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends