“Clean comfortable but short on details”

Novotel Wollongong Northbeach
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We travel often to Wollongong and stay in a variety of accommodation.
Reception staff who welcomed us to our four night stay at Novotel Northbeach were pleasant and helpful - a good start.
We required parking - entrance/exit to carpark was difficult to navigate - small squared turning spaces with lots of roped and taped edges and low ceilings showing evidence of many vehicle collisions. Understand that Novotel can't change bad design.
We had problems with our keycard room access - two re-scans. Also problems with parking card access - re-scanned once, holding up access for cars behind us. Staff always pleasant and helpful.
The hotel foyer was clean, wide and easy to navigate and our city view room was spacious, very clean and had a small sea view. A great bonus - the window opened!
Bathroom was spacious, newly renovated and very clean, but only one towel rail, no hooks to enable hanging of toiletry bags. Shower over high sided plastic bath - quite difficult to get out of. Probably impossible for short stature/ less mobile people.
The lobby bar was large and pleasant but bar does not have beer on tap and the one time we tried it there was only one barman serving drinks and preparing food, resulting in a large queue - we waited ten minutes and left.
Dining in on two nights we ordered from the special healthy menu. Food was beautifully presented, well cooked and tasted wonderful.
Thank you Novotel for very clean, comfortable accommodation, great food and well trained staff. Just short on the details.

Room Tip: City view rooms also provide small view of sea.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here for two nights when down from Sydney for nursing course nearby.
Service was very good from reception, bar and restaurant staff.
Food in the restaurant was delicious and large portions too.
Didn't use the pool etc or have breakfast so can't comment on those aspects.
View of beach from room over a roofed area, but was still nice to see in the mornings.
Only complaint would have been on our 2nd night a wedding reception/party was going on underneath our room so music was very loud! Maybe they should have used our room for some of the party guests and not us and others staying at hotel.
Would stay here again with out doubt if the need arose.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
NovotelWollongong, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear CharlieHill,

Thank you for providing such a wonderful review of your recent stay.

I am so pleased you have enjoyed your recent stay making the most of our restaurant and facilities. I hope we are able to welcome you back to The Novotel for another enjoyable stay in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I love the easy access to the beach, cafes, and restaurants. I've visited twice so here are my thoughts;

I first stayed at this hotel just over a year ago and the experience was ruined by renovation noise. However, apologetic staff gave me a discount on the bill so that I paid for a standard room when in fact I had a beach view balcony room.

I decided to give the hotel another go and stayed there last weekend. I was not disappointed. Everything from the in room dining, quality of the (very standard non view) room and the happy and attentive staff made this a very enjoyable, though far too short, mini vacay!

I can recommend the beach view rooms for spectacular outlook but if you are unable to afford one, staying in a standard room and walking outside and along the boardwalks or beach is even better. Breakfast in the buffet style hotel restaurant overlooks the beach too.

I also noticed people making use of a small kids play room (glass walls) off the foyer. What a great idea. If you are waiting for a cab, you can see the front driveway from the playroom too.

Lastly, the only fault (minor one but worth mentioning) is that my confirmation letter stated that buffet breakfast was included. It was an error. Unless you are sure it's included in your rate, don't just assume the letter is correct. We were told at restaurant we'd have to pay ($35ph) and decided to just get something light elsewhere. On checking out I mentioned the mix up to receptionist who would have overridden earlier advice and let us have complementary breakfast but we had already eaten and we were now in a rush.

Aside from that, it was a very pleasant stay and I plan to go back and make use of pool, gym and the day spa downstairs next time.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Dear 255060LEE,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Novotel Wollongong.

I am delighted that you have returned to the property now with all the guest rooms completely refurbished, the new rooms have certainly been warmly received by our guests. I hope we are able to welcome you back for many more enjoyable stays in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Spent 1 night at the Novotel with my family after a wedding in July rather than driving back to SYDNEY.
Great room, very modern & clean. Fantastic breakfast with a huge selection.
Must admit not cheap but one of the best hotels in Wollongong with great location by the beach.
There was a minor problem sent email which wasn't answered immediately.
But I must clearly thank Brittany for her professionalism & the way she handled the complaint immediately after I phoned her & I must say is customer focused. Will definitely come again & recommend to friends.
Thanks Brittany.

Cheers
Rita

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Dear Rita P,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Novotel Wollongong.

I am so pleased you have enjoyed your recent stay. Thank you for your kind words about our wonderful team leader Brittany, Brittany is consistently going above and beyond to ensure all our guest are comfortable any enjoying their time in Wollongong.

Thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed here for a 'short break' and would certainly come back again- and recommend it to anyone. I believe the hotel has been refurbished in recent times, judging by previous comments. If so, they have done a wonderful job. Our room wasn't the biggest we have ever stayed in, but it was a good size for the two of us. The bed was a 'normal' size - not so big that it overpowered the room, which was a nice change from other places we have stayed. The bathroom was excellent and the shower was SO GOOD! The staff were very friendly and courteous at the front desk and in the restaurant. Our room did have an ocean view, but no balcony or opening window for fresh air (we were on the 9th floor). If and when we stay there again, that would be the only change I would make - to ask for a room with a balcony as I do like to have some fresh air circulating. A very minor problem, but now we know what to ask for, easily fixed. Would happily recommend this hotel - the location is excellent!

Room Tip: Personally, next time I would ask for a room with a balcony - with ocean views.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Dorothy W,

Thank you for providing such a wonderful review of your recent stay, I am so pleased to read that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay. You are right, our guest rooms have recently been refurbished and all public areas of the properties are expected to be completed in the coming months.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay and to enjoy the new and exciting changes.