“Excellent coffee and Pie”
Review of Checkers Cafe

Checkers Cafe
Ranked #19 of 59 Restaurants in Thames
Cuisines: Contemporary
Reviewed 16 June 2018

On a business trip from Wellington we popped into Chequers on a particularly wet and dismal day for coffee and lunch. The coffee was really superb - and I'm particularly fussy about my coffee. The Steak and Cheese pie I had was really tasty and my coeliac colleague was also able to get a gluten-free toasted sandwich.

Reviewed 4 May 2018

This is light, clean and airy. On a warm sunny day, the courtyard is a wonderful place to eat. The coffee is excellent and the food is also very good. We both shared a stuffed potato and the macaroni cheese. Both were a good size, reasonably priced and very tasty. Well worth a look if you are looking for lunch in Thames.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

We waited for 50 mins for our breakfast to come out, were ready to walk out and ask for refund of money. Food was average but the wait was far too long, They were not very busy, Very poor. Will not return.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

This is a nice cafe with outside seating. Food was standard kiwi fare - not outstanding but really decent. The service though was exceptionally slow. Our family group of 4-5 waited well over an hour for our cooked breakfasts - as had another customer who warned us before we ordered! Even the cabinet food and coffee I ordered took an hour plus - and it was not busy. More a warning than a review - if you need to be anywhere in a hurry don't stop here first.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Loved having a cuppa outside with the trees enclosed around our table. Unfortunately the tree trunk was kind of in the way to see friends on the other side, but we managed. I loved the experience of enjoying a cuppa and yummy kumara muffin with nature and good company. While we were there, it was super busy. Outside area was very popular. I enjoyed my time here.