“Oh dear oh dear”
Review of Asahi Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Asahi Japanese Restaurant
Reviewed 2 January 2016 via mobile

Where do I start with this review...!! It was a disappointing evening.
We hadn't booked and when we walked up to the counter the waitress let out a very audible sigh when we asked for a table, the restaurant didn't appear to be overly busy however being a Saturday night and a public holiday the staff appear to have underestimated the amount of custom.
After about 20 mins the waitress took our order and we waited and waited and waited some more for our meal to arrive, we only ordered a main but it took over an hour to be served, which when it did turn up was fairly average, I'm know expect on Japanese cuisine but it just wasn't nice and was cold.
During our wait the waiting staff were turning customers away even though there was plenty of empty tables which to add hadn't been cleared after the last guests had left which is a pretty good indication that the staff couldn't keep up.
Would I go back... not a chance, even if it was free.

1  Thank Warren B

Reviewed 19 December 2015

I went here for dinner with a work colleague on a Thursday evening. The restaurant was relatively quiet with people at several other tables. The service was ok but the meals were disappointing. I had a squid ring entree and a shashimi bento as a main. The entree looked like it had just come directly out of a deep fryer. There was no garnish or sauces. The bento was also disappointing with very little shashimi, old looking sushi and fairly average tempura and a tasteless meat dish

Reviewed 15 December 2015

Call a restaurant Japanese. Write a pseudo menu and serve a Chinese restaurant idea of Japanese food and you might get close to how non Japanese the lunch I had was.
There was none of the elegance and simplicity that even the simplest Japanese restaurant values, and takes pride in.
Granted I only ate there once, and even then it was a simple lunch, but if this is a reflection of the cusine, then it bears no resemblance to anything Japanese.
Granted the food was tasty, but it was not Japanese.

1  Thank RobynK70
Reviewed 13 November 2015

we have been to Asahi for special events a few times and really enjoyed their food, this time we went on 21st October and it was disapointing.
We booked in via phone earlier in the day (6 adults) and said we had limited time as we were booked for a movie that night.
We were served by a lovely young man with american accent. We stated that we had a gluten free diner and asked what they had available. He went and asked the kitchen staff.. he returned with the 2 meal options (other than sushi). She chose one and I asked once more-its' definitely gluten free?? he said yes. Our meals were served in good time, and my mother in law started eating her meal. About 5 minutes later the young man returned to say, sorry, there is some gluten in the sauce. He could cook another and replace. - however we had minimal time and she'd already eaten quite a bit of it. But it really disrupted the evening as she didn't want to ruin our dinner out and we were in a rush to get tot he movie premiere... I expected that we wouldn't have to pay for that meal that was not what we'd orderd (she didn't eat it all).. but they still charged me for it.... disappointing!

Reviewed 17 October 2015 via mobile

Best waiter in the world - Josh! Heard he could sing great too. Someone give that guy a gig! Everyone finished their food and loved it, it tasted great! Thank you so much Asahi Restaurant