All reviewsguest winghot tubhector dolphinsthree bedroomcatfishsouth islandnew zealandcatch of the dayplush bathrobeslaundry doneliving area and bathroomdelightful hostsslice of paradiseunderfloor heatingheated floorsstylish accommodationlittle touches
Reviewed 6 August 2012

This is my 2nd time staying at "The Factory". The first time is my Hen's weekend, it has been a mind-blowing experience (i.e. the decor, the yummy breakfast and specially the AAA+ hospitality). This time I am with my husband and my close friend going down Mt Lyford for a snowboarding weekend. The Factory is my 1st choice for accommodation simply because of 1) the wonderful experience I had before, 2) only one hour drive away to the bottom of the Mt Lyford (there are also buses taking you from downtown Kaikoura to the ski field), 3) plus there is a spa in the Factory to relax the sore body after the intensive day:P

I have to say this time is another over expectation visit. The snow at Mt Lyford is superb and we had a fantastic white weekend. Janet and Paul are so wonderful, not only provide us the most magnificent meal even with the special dietary requirements for my friend, but also showed us around the beach and spotted a giant sea lion resting on the beach.

Highly recommended “The Factory” to everyone, you will be surprised :D

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Janet B, Owner at The Factory, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review. It was great to see you again, and meet your bridesmaid and your new husband! Loved seeing all the wedding photos - so beautiful. I am glad Mt Lyford met your expectations - it's a lovely little skifield and no queues. Seeing the leopard seal was very exciting for us too - glad we could experience it with you. See you next time!

Reviewed 30 July 2012

On my journey from Queenstown to Picton, initially I was planning to stay just for one night and ended up staying for three wonderful days. Janet & Paul are the live-in owners. They have created a very nice, welcoming industrial chic luxury B&B. The Factory is on the beachfront at Hapuku, 10 minutes North of Kaikoura. In the 100-year-old Hapuku Dairy Factory with dramatic views of snow-covered mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. Staying at The Factory is exclusive, with only one party booked at a time, three bedrooms, open fire place, heated tiled floors, fab stainless steel kitchen unit all included. Paul is always happy to make you a stiff espresso (or short black), or latte on his Italian steam machine. Janet & Paul treated me on a great home cooked dinner with red perch and blue cod I caught during the day together with Paul. The big octopus we let go..

Ahh..there’s three chickens providing lovely eggs for breakfast. A just magical place with wonderful hosts who provide just the right touches to make you feel at home yet let you be at ease in the well appointed guest area. I need to come back to write a book!

Room Tip: There's three bedrooms available for you. Perfect if traveling with a few couples and/or children.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Janet B, Owner at The Factory, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Many thanks for your kind review. It was such fun to meet you during your stay at The Factory and Paul really enjoyed an excuse to go out fishing - catching the big octopus was a bonus! We'll look forward to a return visit.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Paul & Janet are the native NZs' who own and operate this stunning residence. Their genuine, from the heart hospitality, was overwhelming and sincere. They are two wonderful people with big hearts. The location is near the ocean and scenic from it's vantage point. The Factory is out of the way but within a beautiful drive of the town. The accomodations are beautifully appointed and unique. We absolutely found Paul and Janet's factory to be the highlight of our trip to New Zealand!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SoftWalker
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed at The Factory in January as part of my husbands 50th birthday. This was our last night and just wished we had stayed for more nights! We were there with our son and he still raves about it! From the moment we arrived we were treated like one of the family, with nothing being too much trouble. The design of the rooms were a credit to Janet, with so much attention to detail! The breakfast the next day was sublime and the coffee made by Paul was perfect! So the factory ticked all of the boxes, and we would certainly recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Book way ahead, as I am sure the word is getting out there that this is the place to stay!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RHONDA48
Janet B, Owner at The Factory, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Thank you so much - so glad you enjoyed your stay here - we really enjoyed hearing all your interesting stories. I hope your possom silk throw arrived safely - we have now bought 2 for The Factory and they are just gorgeous! Hope to see you all again.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

This was the first port of call for us on our holiday and well needed , and it truly was a lovely few days, Firstly Janet and Paul made you feel welcome as soon as you arrived and the kids couldnt decide between the tray of food or the tree hut , the hut won out for a short time!
The building is unique and has been stunninly down out with everything you would need, I have at last realised my leaning in home deocr Thank you! now to implement it.
Breakfast was DELICIOUS every morning and Janet so thoughtfully accomadated our dietry needs, and Pauls coffee was superb! Just across the road was the beach most invigorating to walk along and hopefully catch the sight of a dolphin or two which we did! The beds were comfy and the soap range excellent and a BBQ that goes and a very stylish one at that!
Thank you Janet and Paul for making our stay so right! and the children still talk of THE FACTORY!

Room Tip: It is all fantastic
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family