“Great ambience and food”
Review of Szimpla Gastro Bar

Szimpla Gastro Bar
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Mangere
Price range: US$13 - US$25
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Szimpla Gastro Bar is a new concept bar & restaurant located under the ibis budget Hotel at Auckland Airport, not far from Mangere Bridge, Manukau. A home away from home for visitors to New Zealand staying in neighbouring hotels and an exciting new social venue for members of the local business community and nearby suburbs. With its rustic Kiwi charm, top-notch hospitality, delicious grub and range of brews.
Reviewed 15 February 2017

The restaurant is ideally situated near the Ibis hotel near Auckland airport and is decorated in a quirky retro design. We were serve quickly and the food was plentiful and tasty.

TashB83, Owner at Szimpla Gastro Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2017

Hi Wilma - thanks so much for taking the time to review us. Hopefully we see you again!

Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

I came in for dinner on Valentine's day with my partner. To Szimplas credit it was extremely busy, but this is no excuse for the service we recieved.

Upon arriving we were seated and ordered an entree to share and 2 burgers. I explained very clearly to the waitress that we wanted to have the entree (pork belly sliders) to start followes by the main ( 2 burgers), the waitress then was about to take off back to the kitchen when I repeated back my order just to make sure it was correct, she read back the order and had written down we were after a Pork belly main with 2 burgers (which was incorrect). I corrected her and again advised her that we wanted the sliders served first followed by the main to which she acknowledged. A fairly simple request I thought.

Around 20 minutes later our food arrived, no entree only mains. I asked the waiter why we hadn't been given an entree first and after checking he advised that it was not put through or on our table at all. I didn't make a fuss just thanked him for our mains and we began eating.

The burgers were probably the biggest let down of the evening, service and all else aside. The beef burger dry, unseasoned, dressed with a very unusual tomato sauce and onion combination (awful taste) with a crap load of lettuce/ greens, the chips were only just cooked!! The chicken burger I enjoyed but again the chips were undercooked.

After our meals no one asked how anything was, I arrived at the counter to pay and after standing in front of 2 staff members who were chatting to each other for around 5 minutes right in front of me without acknowledging me or serving me finally decided to come over and assist. Again no one cared to ask how the food was.

Overall I am very disappointed and will not visit again. The quality of the food was very poor and the service was just as bad. It is a nice facility and layout in a good location but for the price and quality I would have been better off going to a fast food restaurant.

Hi there. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, apologies that this situation was not brought to my attention on the night as I would have been more than happy to assist in rectifying this for you. I can't make any excuses for the beef burger, please be assured that I have spoken to my chefs about this. Service wise I have identified who looked after you and it was her second shift with us and one that went from empty restaurant to capacity in the space of 10 minutes, we have since had time to give feedback to the person in question so that the service level is improved moving forward. This is not us making excuses just hopefully giving you an understanding of the hire pressure nature of what we sometimes face meaning that things don't always go to plan. If you would consider giving Szimpla another chance please contact me info@szimpla.co.nz and I will make sure that you are looked after. Thanks again for dining with us.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

It was a Friday evening and the place was buzzing. Service was good, quick and friendly. Fish and chips were great. Burger was good but had been allowed to stand for too long wasn't that warm.

Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

I have been to Szimpla Gastro Bar twice. Once for our work Xmas lunch and once for my daughters birthday dinner.
They cater very well for small or large numbers. The decor is is amazing and they have plants everywhere. The staff are friendly and helpful.
The food is great and there is plenty of choices on their menus. They have parking available and are centrally located not far from the airport.

Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

The food selection is quite good, they have some nice beers and the staff were friendly and helpful. The food was tasty, well presented and timely. We certainly recommend it.