“Still the best espresso”

Bay Espresso - Karamu Road
Ranked #1 of 7 Coffee & Tea in Hastings
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 1 October 2014

This is the first cafe in the chain, I believe, and their coffee is still the best of the four or so in Hastings. They are on a busy street so be careful getting on and off the main road. Their lattes and hot cheese scones fresh from the oven are to die for! Their weekend fair is nothing special but anything you get for a quick breakfast on weekdays is great. Get Sarah to make your latte. Prices are high but no higher than the other cafes. They could use an extra person during the morning rush but the coffee is always freshly made for only you and is heavenly.

Reviewed 28 September 2014

Stopped by Bay Espresso on Karamu Road for a quick Long Black (NZ$3.50) take-away and was very happy with my coffee, finding it rich in flavour with a hint of earthiness, not bitter. The coffee was very nice taken on its own, no need for milk or sugar, just an all around nice coffee (rating 4 of 5).

On this occasion, sampled a ginger slice (NZ$4) that was a nice little snack to have along with the Long Black. Similar to another dessert bar had here a couple years ago, I'd be happy to repeat order this snack for afternoon coffee break.

Overall, another good stop at the Bay Espresso Coffee Shop. Would gladly make regular visits at Bay Espresso if we had this available in Hong Kong.

Tip: While a good stop for a quick take-away coffee order, this coffee shop is also very neatly decorated inside. The interior is a slightly eclectic and colourful place with a nice vibe. It makes for a nice sit-down coffee stop if you've the time.

Reviewed 27 September 2014

On a busy road but worth stopping in for brekkie or brunch. Good quality produce and reasonable prices.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Great friendly service. Very good selection of beautiful food. Time the toilets had a coat of paint then you will be excellent

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We visited the Hastings Central branch today and were very disappointed. We are very regular visitors, at least 3 times a month and usually find the food and service really good... Except for today.
I ordered French toast and my wife ordered eggs benedict and both our meals were below par from what we would normally get. The French toast for $15.50 was very small in portion size, one piece of lightly egged toast a raw cold banana and half a rasher of well over cooked bacon that was inedible. My wife's bene was decent in size but the hollandaise sauce was very thick, bright yellow paste that was cold and had so much it covered all of the food!
I went to the counter and explained to the waitress that my portion was extremely small as I have had the French toast once before and there were two decent pieces of toast, cooked banana and two rashers of bacon, she seemed ok and said the head chef of Bay Espresso was the cool today and went to talk to him, 5 minutes later she came out to our table and loudly said "what branch did you have this at last time", everyone in the cafe stopped and looked at us and we were extremely embarrassed at which point my wife got angry at ME because of the embarrassment! We were offered complimentary drinks as reparation but I turned them down because it didn't solve our problem.
I want to know why the chef didn't come out and why the portion sizes are so ridiculously small for the price and food so poor when the so called "head chef" is cooking?
We were highly embarrassed and my heavily pregnant wife was upset!
It's a shame because one incident has ruined chances of going back!
$43 for coffee... Not happy...

4  Thank Dion B