“Ghost room: light turned itself on in the middle of the night and staff didn't care”

Travelodge Hotel Bankstown Sydney
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bankstown
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We went to friends' wedding and stayed at this hotel.

11:30pm: we went to sleep
1:45am: everyone woke up as one of the lights (right above the bed) suddenly turned on and kept flashing! We tried everything to shut it down and failed.

1:55am: It finally decided to turn itself off. I went to the reception, report the incident to the front desk staff. After bluntly looking at me for a couple of minutes, he said he didn't know what's going on, which was fair enough, we didn't know what the hell was going on either. I expressed my concerns. I was worried it might happen again and asked whether there's anything they could do. He said 'I promise it wont happen again.' How could you promise something you had no idea about? I don't know. But I knew he refused to offer any help at that point. Note: He didn't bother to apologise in the whole conversation.

I went back and everyone tried to go back to sleep.

2:50am Woke up again: the light turned itself on again and kept flashing! My husband rang the front desk and he finally came over, and finally gave us another room. Of course, he didn't apologise.

Our sleep were all ruined by then.

When we were checking out, another staff received us. We didn't want to talk about the night at all but she apparently knew what had happened. For the first time, the hotel staff apologised. What a surprise, they actually felt 'Sorry'!!

She asked "did you try to turn everything off but the light is still on?" Yes, you are right! But this wasn't the point, the problem was that the light turned itself on! I guess the other guy might have rendered what had happened completely and described us as 'stupid' and 'fussy' so that he could avoid taking the responsibility.

Well, this might be a one off incident. However, the service is very disappointing. Hopefully they will find an electrician and fix the problem asap. And, yes, I will avoid Travelodge from now on. Thanks.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Toodizzy
SM_McKinnon, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Bankstown Sydney, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you felt that our service delivery was below par on this occasion. Our team prides itself on customer service and to feel that we let someone down in this area is very disappointing to us.

I can report that this incident was swiftly reported to our maintenance team the following morning and a faulty dimmer switch was immediately replaced. Thankfully this is an extremely rare fault that has occurred in the room however the works were required to be carried out by a trained professional.

We are sorry that your sleep was disturbed by this fault and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property so that you can experience what we are truly capable of.

Sean McKinnon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We had driven to Sydney to clean up my parents in laws house for a new tenant. We we arrived at the house it was a total mess . Dirty , windows and walls broken etc and rubbish all over the front yard. We couldn't stay there. I jumped on the net and found the bankstown travel lodge.
The staff were great and managed to fit us in even though it was a busy Friday night. The room was nice and clean and quiet . So we could use it as a sanitary after the earlier shock. Having the club downstairs was perfect. Easy for dinner even at the latish hour.
Would happily return

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Belatu
SM_McKinnon, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Bankstown Sydney, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and glad we made a bad day a little more pleasant for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Travelodge Bankstown shares its reception area and "lobby" with Bankstown Community Sports Club which has poker machines right smack at the entrance. The hotel reception is beside the club's reception. We were stopped twice by club staff asking for our Travelodge key as identification that we are hotel guests and not gaming clients. It was very uncomfortable to be stopped like that when we are paying hotel guests - to say the least. It is understandable that because of the gaming area, they need to identify people, but Travelodge hotel should have warned us of that as much as they told us how to use the key card to operate the lifts and the open the door.

I am not sure if being Muslim and covered had anything to do with the staff stopping us twice despite the fact that they saw us coming from the hotel's reception area. The hotel itself is pleasing, very clean and quiet. I will not recommend this hotel to Muslims though as it really is very uncomfortable walking through gaming machines and smelling alcohol in the lobby, not to mention drinking patrons who would test one's patience. It was in this hotel or in its shared area with the club, that whilst walking through the restaurants to take my daughter to Monkey Mania, an indoor play area in the hotel, that a man sitting and drinking his beer told me - in a loud voice - "You look awful! Why do you have to cover your face like that? You don't belong here! You go back to where you came from! You look awful!". It was very frustrating to say the least. I didn't have to pay a hotel, use its facilities and get it from its not-so-sober patrons.

Room Tip: To avoid the noise from the club downstairs, we asked for a room towards the back of the upper floor...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank bintRey
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this valuable feedback. I was sorry to hear that your stay way marred by hotels proximity to the club and the subsequent procedures that need to be followed which is unique to our venue. For future reference our Travelodge key wallet acts as a temporary membership to the club and just needs to be shown to the reception staff upon entry to the club for hassle free access.

Regards
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We stay at the Bankstown Travelodge every time we visit Sydney. The rooms are comfortable. The kids love the "wonka-vator" (think Willy Wonka in his glass elevator). The food is great from Greenfield Station, the Italian Piazza and the Rainforest cafe area. The staff are always freindly and we find it very convenient. Great value and an enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
SM_McKinnon, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Bankstown Sydney, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Thank you for the feedback. I will pass your comments on in relation to the outlets and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed for a weddding and were extremely disappointed. The rooms were average basic rooms as expected but what really let this club down was the customer service or lack there of.

A group of six of us went to the bistro for breakfast and were met by "Adolf Hitler" of bistro managers. I was able to order scrambled eggs and bacon and then told they couldnt make scrambled eggs as it was too busy. I was then able to order an omelette with 4 toppings, I would have thought this would be as labour intensive as scrambling some eggs?

Without exaggerating when looking around the restaurant there was maybe 20 people max eating breakfast and 5 people working in the bistro. A ratio of staff to customers that many who work in hospitality would be envious of.

One of the guys was happy to pay for more tomatoes but this request was denied and he was told he could only have what come with his meal.

The buzzers went off to collect your food and when you arrived the coffee and toast had not even be started yet and you had to remind the manger of what you ordered.

My mother in law was not allowed to collect my coffee, even after this was arranged with one of the other more helpful waitresses.

The breakfast manager was rude and had a constant scowl on her face.

Let's be frank I wasn't expecting the Hilton on the park at Bankstown but this had to be one of the worst
experience's that I have had as a paying customer.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank Bicks983
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to hear that your stay was impacted by the breakfast quality experienced in the Greenfield Bistro. As the hotel and club are separate entities I have passed your comments onto the Clubs Management for review.

Sean McKinnon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bankstown
Central Business District
Adina Apartment Hotel Norwest
#1 of 2 in Baulkham Hills
Darlinghurst
Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney

Been to Travelodge Hotel Bankstown Sydney? Share your experiences!