“Disappointing ”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Whilst the atmosphere and service are good the older woman serving who appeared to run the show left a lot to be desired from my perspective and in regards to the food I had significant issues.

For main I ordered the Cowra lamb racks which I requested medium rare. What I got was very much on the medium side. So I sent it back. The next thing I knew I had the older white haired woman coming back to tell me that the meal I had received was medium rare and if I wanted a replacement then I would have to pay for both. She was not at all nice when I said it was not medium rare and she then forcefully said it in a way that implied I did not know what medium rare was turned her back on me and walked away.

So at the end of the day I’m left feeling that this restaurant most likely suffers from the Australian over cooked food syndrome. And it needs a better chef.

I must be fair and say that the lamb meat itself whilst over cooked was very tender but the the potato mash it was sitting on was tasteless and the whole dish lacked seasoning.

The accompanying green vegetables were cooked fresh and crisp but were bland. They could have done with a dash of extra virgin olive oil s squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some seasoning. At $38 this main course was grossly overpriced.

I then ordered the espresso parfait with chocolate and again that was disappointing as the parfait was just far too sweet and if there was espresso in the parfait it was indiscernible. Again $16 for a dessert means it needs to be good.

The rest of the young table staff were lovely.

When you consider the quality and price of The Quarry you can find better value in Cowra.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

My husband booked this restaurant for a birthday meal on a very hot (40 degrees +) Saturday night. The restaurant was lovely and cool with pleasant ambience.
A range of local wines on offer and by the glass as well. We had very delicious entrees and mains. The menu was not extensive which can be good as the restaurant is realistic about not over extending itself. Info re the restaurant needs updating as it no longer is attached to a functioning vineyard. A very pleasant evening out !

1  Thank TeePodd
Reviewed 29 December 2017

The food is yummy, the location is quaint and lovely gardens and driveway entrance. You feel like you are dining in someones lovely home. Nice outdoor grass area to dine in as well. You do need to book though as they book out and you can't just walk in. They have limited places. They will turn you away and won't make room for anyone else. The staff are not great, they seem like young traveller types and don't seem to care much for the business which is a shame for the owners. There is a cute little counter which acts as a cellar door, if you want to taste wine staff rush over quickly in-between serving meals pour you a taste and then rush back and so on so fourth. Not a real winery or cellar door, but none the less I like this place and will be back for sure. Good food. Just train your staff a little better to love the business like you do and you will excel.

Reviewed 25 November 2017

Nice location, friendly and efficient staff, beautiful food and great wine.
We had a great time and highly recommend a visit to the Quarry!

Reviewed 25 September 2017

Me and my fiancé were taken aback at how poor the food at The Quarry Restaurant was in consideration of their pricing. The Quarry charges hatted restaurant prices ... but our dishes were simply bad. We started out with the bread and dips - the dips and bread were nice - but the serving was mean - 2 very small slices of bread each. My fiance had the scallops on pork belly for entree ... scallops were chewy and overcooked while the pork belly was stringy and flavourless. My prawn ravioli with apple cider syrup was just weird. Again, fiance had the lamb shank for main and complained that his shank was dry and not falling off the bone. I had the John Dory fillet in a crustacean sauce on 'crusty potatoes'... this was just soggy. There was absolutely nothing crusty about the mean serving of undercooked spuds with a piece of steamed dory fillet on top. They also provided us with some steamed green beans and broccoli - no dressing, no seasoning, not nothing - just steamed veg. I'm the sweet tooth and for once was thinking that I was not prepared to pay $16 for dessert is it was going to be anything like the other dishes we'd had. France convinced me that dessert could be the highlight of our meals - it was. He had the fig and sticky date pudding and it was good. I had the hazelnut and chocolate cheesecake with honeycomb ice cream. I enjoyed it but it because I am a sugar fiend ... but there was no balance ... it was sickly sweet. I would not go back to The Quarry and I would not recommend it - sorry : (

1  Thank Dannielle A