“Decadent escargot and wonderful setting”
Review of The Rooster

The Rooster
Ranked #10 of 96 Restaurants in Katoomba
Price range: US$18 - US$36
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Quality traditional french cuisine reasonably priced, wonderful location and ambiance with spectacular views of the jamison valley. Bar, extensive reasonably priced wine list, outside dining, beautifully restored edwardian building built 1895 guest house with four luxury guestrooms, specials of the week. Open every day for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner except Wednesday and Thursday Musicians play regularly and Lunch on Sunday.
Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

We made reservations and had a lovely table overlooking the view of the mountains. There are also tables outside, but people came in as the sun went down to avoid the chill/bugs.

My husband and I shared the escargot and French onion soup soufflé as starters... the escargot were absolutely delicious, and I’d recommend getting the full dozen to share between two.

As mains, we ordered the asparagus velouté (somehow light but satisfying) and the crispy suckling pork. The pork was unbelievable. If you come, order that for sure!

For dessert we ordered the chocolate fondant with pistachio ice cream and a cheese plate with bleu cheese. By that point we were stuffed. My husband had wine with everything, and sometimes got great recommendations about pairings from the staff.

The elegant setting, when combined with the view, food, and friendly service made for a very memorable experience. Great for special occasions or lingering meals with friends. I probably wouldn’t bring small kids here as it takes a while to eat, but it’s worth it. We will definitely come back if we are ever in Katoomba again!

Reviewed 16 December 2017

We tend to steer away from French restaurants, largely because we're not keen on thick rich and creamy sauces which so often seem to be derigeure at these establishments. Now that doesn't mean we don't like good French restaurants, and always delighted in going to the Sheraton on the Park's Gekko Restaurant (which they foolishly closed)when David Bitton was the master chef and gave a definition of fine dining which has been our benchmark for many years.. But in a couple of days stay in the Blue Mountains we had little choice. We were profoundly disappointed when we revisited Silks (either changed the menu or the chef or both) and although Echoes always pleases, the menu is a little limited for two nights in a row, so I decided although it was designated "French cuisine" we might take a chance with The Rooster, at least looking at the menu to see whether it appealed. I parked the car outside, and as P and I were perusing what was on offer a familiar face came to the door. Tony, the manager, who we knew from when he worked in the city,ran through the menu for us and confirmed that we wouldn't be drowned in glug. Not exactly what David used to offer, but close enough to it to reassure us so we made a booking for the next evening.
The restaurant is divided up into a number of rooms and a bar, beautifully fitted out, very French. We were seated at a nice corner table, although I was a little concerned when I saw through the wide doorway to the adjoiningt room a loudspeaker on the floor pointing in my direction, and wondered whether the live music was going to be ...er...loud live (rock?) music. Needn't have worried. A lovely lady soloist with a guitar accompanist delighted the room with old jazz favorites (reminded me a little of Blossom Dearie) which, despite the loudspeaker, did not interfere with private conversation. Just enough to provide a very pleasant and enjoyable background.
P was a little surprised when her French Onion Soup Souffle was a real souffle (rather than onion soup with a fluffy top) but praised it nevertheless, and was in raptures over her duck, and likewise I was delighted with my suckling pig.
The surroundings, the pleasant staff, the live music and, of course, the great meal made it a night to remember fondly. No hesitation in recommending it.

Reviewed 3 December 2017

The food was amazing, with everything we ordered being fantastically presented and superbly cooked. The wait staff were attentive and saw to our requirements with efficiency. They were personable and well presented.
We had a fantastic evening and enjoyed the delights that this restaurant has to offer. We will be back.

1  Thank deejay6669
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

Just had a lovely lunch at the rooster the staff were very accommodating we sat outside and admired the view, it was very peaceful and quiet.
We chose the lunch special (crab with pastry) and shared - it was yummy if I could give a bit of feedback it would of been to make the pastry slightly bigger for the amount of crab- still delicious though.
As for the mains I had the beef and potatoes and my husband had the duck and oh my goodness mouth watering, so yummy! We both walked away feeling full and happy!
A must go kind of experience

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

Dinner with friends. Staff were friendly and efficient. Made sure we had all we needed. Cheese souffle was delicious. Beef was cooked to perfection - one rare one medium. Suckling pig beautifully seasoned. And dessert was very decadent. It is not a cheap meal but worth the food and experience. Recommended.