“Underwhelming Fish + Calamari”

Sandbar Cafe Caloundra
Ranked #17 of 218 Restaurants in Caloundra
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, Cafe
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Casual contemporary dining, overlooking the waterfront, Bulcock Beach Caloundra. More than just a Cafe, Sandbar is renowned for its emphasis on local quality produce; reasonable prices and superb service.
Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

I normally don't leave bad reviews, but we were so disappointed with the food from this place. It was not only bad, but also expensive for what we were served. It might have just been an off day for them as I can see other good reviews, but the salad was soggy + virtually inedible. The grilled fish was the smallest serve I've seen (for $9.50 pretty stingy, but it did taste quite good) and the calamari was really weird - it seemed to be very processed. We normally have fish and chips over at Moffat Beach but they were closed so we took a chance. Underwhelming.

2  Thank la p

Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

This fish and chip shop was mentioned in the hotel brochure for having amazing fish and chips, and they definitely were. Had salt and pepper calamari, cod and chips (all gluten free) and they were probably the best my fiancé and I have ever had. Prices were affordable too. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 13 May 2018

We stopped in here for a late lunch last with my family and elderly grandmother who is in a wheelchair. From the moment we walked in they were super accommodating and were happy for us to sit wherever we felt most comfortable. The meals were so reasonably priced and came out quickly. The crumbed fish and chips were the best I have ever eaten and they were more than happy to provide an alternative when I told the wait staff that I wasn't a fan of Barramundi. Everyone really enjoyed their meals and commented on how friendly the staff were. We will definitely be back next time we are in Caloundra!

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

My family of six adults just had the most amazing dinner. Completely surprised by the quality of food and service. Do not under estimate this place. The food and service 5 stars.

Reviewed 8 May 2018

My husband and I have spent more than 25 years searching for decent fish and chips, having relocated from North Queensland back in the early '90's. The Sandbar is by far, THE BEST we've ever eaten in South East Queensland. Fresh, crispy, well drained and value for money. Actually, they are so good, I'd be happy to pay more but I'm glad I don't have to.