“Confrontational service”

Ranked #1 of 6 Coffee & Tea in Albany
Price range: US$8 - US$14
Cuisines: Contemporary, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Funky, cosy cafe with great views over the harbour. Great coffee, homemade cakes and a simple fresh menu.
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

What a shame. This used to be one of my favourite places. I came around 3 weeks ago and was overcharged, after specifically discussing the price before ordering and paying on the spot. This was a shame but not the end of the world. I dropped back the next day, explained the situation and was refunded the difference.

This time however was different. We ordered 2 coffees. Both were cold, mine in particular. I took mine back and ask politely if it could be reheated. I made it plain I didn't necessarily expect a new coffee if they could just warm my existing one up. I was in subjected to a very embarrassing and very odd exchange with the service person who said he didn't know how to heat it up and didn't appear inclined to help. He said "what, in the microwave?" I explained I preferred not the microwave and suggested using the coffee steamer. He said that wasn't possible so I asked if he could check with the barista. He declined to do that and again said all he could do was microwave that coffee. I said yes ok microwave it. He then asked me how long to microwave it for. His manner throughout was quite abrasive. I was embarrassed and felt that he was definitely not trying to help. In the end I gave up and said don't worry about it I will drink it cold. Took the coffee back to my seat. He clearly didn't mention it to anybody else and that was the end of the matter. I drank my cold coffee feeling discomfited and humiliated.

Poor service can ruin a meal just as much as poor food

Urvanoffmyhead , Owner at Kate's Place, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Hi Vanessa, you are right poor service is just as bad as poor food. At Kate's Place we pride ourselves on our service over anything as you can see from most of our reviews. We have taken this issue every seriously and will be having a word with all staff to ensure nothing like this happens in the future. All I can do is apologise for this incident and we don't want it take away from all the pleasant experiences you have had at Kate's Place. If you could send through your full name and mobile number to katee006@cheerful.com we will sort something out for you on a future visit. Sorry again, we hope to hear from you soon. Craig and Kate

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Came here for lunch with my mother in law and her mum and my daughter, coffee was beautiful, and lunch was delicious and definitely got value for money, I couldn’t fault this cafe what so ever..

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

Slow service.
Cake I purchased was dry and a bit hard.
Chai was nice.
Food was nothing special.
Wouldn't recommend.

1  Thank darrrling
Reviewed 19 September 2017

The colourful interior felt a little crowded but not at all uncomfortable. The muesli and yoghout was delicious and my man's poached eggs were to order and we both enjoyed a light but tasty coffee. Order at the counter and be enticed by the range of cakes, slices and savoury muffins. A log fire was not burning but signs indicated it is during colder weather which would make this a very cosy spot to park up in for breakfast or lunch but I'm not sure if they were open for dinner. Prices were on average with the rest of the cafe's in town and parking was easy on the street. The view is marred by the unattractive Entertainment Centre and walkway but that is just unfortunate for a number of street side businesses in the area. A high chair might be a squeeze at a table but nothing indicated children would not be welcome and there was some pavement seating options also.

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

The open sign at Kate's Place was a welcome sight on a Monday morning when, for some reason, other places prefer to stay closed.

Kate's was near full and welcoming and we were glad we popped in.

They served a delicious coffee and Earl Grey tea - just what was needed on a chilly Albany morning.

Thanks guys!