“Provincial Spanish Fine Dining”

Restaurante Convento de San Pablo
Reserve with
Restaurante Convento de San Pablo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 201 Restaurants in Cuenca
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 October 2016

This old priest seminar has been converted into a very nice luxury hotel where the old church with its exhibition of modern art is a visit worth in it self.
The food is very rural in composition and the menu has very large servings. So food is plentiful and charming but not michelin style or quality ... that said it was a very nice meal.

Reviewed 25 October 2016

We stayed one night at this impressive Parador while touring as part of a large group. After a long day, a few of us didn't want to go looking for a restaurant nor have a heavy meal, so we decided on a bar meal in the Parador. The service was appallingly slow and the food very mediocre - tastless, in some cases overcooked (the burger bun and ciabatta were almost inedibly hard) yet barely lukewarm. A huge disappointment for such a beautiful hotel.
In contrast, the breakfast buffet the following morning was extensive, fresh and delicious, though again the waiting staff seemed indifferent to the customers.
My rating is based on a high for the breakfast but very low for the bar meal.

1  Thank Paul H
Reviewed 15 September 2016

Most of the reviews read, mentioned that the restaurant was a little pricey but given the quality and the grand location, 90 euros for two certainly didn't seem bad to us. It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening where you couldn't help feeling you were somewhere special. The restaurant was so close to getting 5 stars but came up short on a couple of things. Firstly the restaurant was far too bright, reminiscent of Blackpool illuminations. Management take note, dim the lights and that way you will be able to actually see the candlelight flickering around the grand surroundings. I had the venison. I wasn't asked how I wanted it cooked, as it happened it was perfect but that was nothing more than a stroke of luck that the chef cooked it to my taste. Secondly, the venison came with half a cooked plum. Nothing more, no vegetables, chips, potatoes, nothing! I'm a northern man, I wanted something else on my plate. Her indoors had the lamb, again beautiful and with a nice selection of sauté potatoes and baby peppers. When asked where mine was I was told the venison is served on its own. Bugga! Anyway, it was still gorgeous and we shared the selection of sweets dish, carrot cakes, ice cream, brownies and melon.. delicious followed by Irish coffees. Once again, not unreasonable at under a hundred bucks. The author and ghost-writer Ken Scott well satisfied.

1  Thank KenScott2013
Reviewed 25 July 2016

I have never visited Cuenca before, but it is really beautiful. The Parador, which is an old monastery, is surrounded by nature. The restaurant was originally a chapel. It is stunning and relaxing.

The food was amazing! We tried some seasonal vegetables and "Morteruelo" (Cuenca's most famous dish), a sort of purée made out of bushmeat, topped with a few pinions. Then we tried the "Ajoarriero" cod. I love "ajoarriero", but this is probably the BEST I have never tried. A must in Cuenca! Excellent service, excellent wine... a bit pricey but definitely it is worth! Totally recommended!

Reviewed 28 May 2016

We had dinner here whilst staying at the Parador. Of the 6 Paradores we stayed at on this trip our bill here was by far the highest, and the quality of the food did not really justify the cost. My wife started with a ravioli frito, which she said was ok, but without being very special. My main course of venison I have to say was excellent, whilst my wife had stuffed partridge which she said was acceptable. The way the food was served was a little strange as it came up on square plates, which the waiter insisted on putting on top of round underplates - an arrangement that was never going to work. Overall, ok but nothing special and probably rather expensive for what we had.

Jose Manuel A, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Restaurante Convento de San Pablo, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2016

Thank you for your opinion.