Coral by the Sea
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

I tend to only write good reviews but this one, I have no choice. I want to save you from this pit. We made a last minute reservation thru booking.com. I wish I'd have read reviews first but internet connection is challenging in Puerto Rico. We booked this room because of how close it's by the airport. That's the only good thing about it. Upon arrival, the front desk guy was probably one of the least friendly people I've met, I don't think he could describe me as I was standing I front of him because he never looked up. I asked where do we park, across the street, $5.00 extra. I'm getting ticked right now, booking.com said free parking. We had heavy luggage and wanted to bring the suitcases to the room to sort out. They don't have a cart but can call one of the workers to help us (no thank you, that meant $$ we didn't have). Ended up sorting it in the car and off to the room we go. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Forgot to mention the bed and sheets and towels. That crisp white color was more like an aging grayish mess. The bed looked like it was not made under the blanket and the mattress was not only sagging, it was hard as a rock and we could feel the"ribs" of it.There's only that one outlet (shown in the pictures) and that didn't even work. Ended up plugging my almost dead phone under the refrigerator, far groom the bed. If you're looking for a way to heat up water for tea, might as well skip that thought. There's not a coffee maker in the room and nowhere at 5am fur that matter. All that for just about $150.00 which is what we paid for this dump. Biggest regret of my life !

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank roset_2
Reviewed 19 December 2017

We messed up on our return flights after a cruise and needed a day-room somewhere. The airport hotel was booked and they referred us over here. Having spotty internet on the cruise ship, we went with their recommendation... bad choice.

When I called Coral by the Sea, I explained that we were getting into port early and would need a room till 8pm. They said they had something available and charged $103 for a "day room". I should have checked TA, the rooms were only $93 for the same time for a complete overnight. When we arrived at 10am, they said nothing was available... no problem, completely understandable. They said to return by 1pm and they would have something by then. So off to Casa Bacardi we went to a rum tasting tour.... lot's of fun by they way. We returned by 2pm and still nothing.

Here's what burns me... while we were there earlier at 10am, we watched 5 rooms being checked out. When we got back, others were being checked in, but not us. They said it was because of the class of room we booked... so we waited... We finally were able to check in at 230pm... now this is where it gets better.

If the class of room we were waiting for was a piece of crap, then that's exactly what we got. We received room 402, obviously on the 4th floor. Upon arriving to the floor, there was a 8 inch mismatch between the elevator and the 4th floor. Guess they don't do elevator inspections at this place. The room was at the end of a narrow hall, and had absolutely no sound protection from the arriving and departing aircraft engines. Not very peaceful. The bathroom was a little closet that didn't make you feel clean after showering. The bed was uncomfortable and linen the cheapest and thinnest that exists. Good thing was we were only to be here for a long nap and shower and then off to the plane. We decided to leave an hour early as we really didn't like spending any more time and risk bringing home something we didn't want.

The staff was neutral. Not helpful, but not nasty either. I would not trust them to do something for me of importance though... like a wake up call or something even easier than that.

We really like Puerto Rico, but would never recommend this place to anybody, unless it is absolutely the last resort available... and it being portrayed as a beachside resort, forget about it. I'd fear being mugged just getting there.

Room Tip: To chose a good rome, stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael D
Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

The island was full with hurricane releif workers and this was the only room available on short notice. I read the reviews but had no choice (business). I did however leave some no working electronics in my bag and sure enough they were stolen by housekeeping the last night of my stay. Saved in the long run, since I typically leave a generous cash tip but only had to leave a note this time.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Joel E
Reviewed 8 November 2017

We needed a hotel for 1 night before our cruise and due to Hurricane Maria not many hotels were accepting reservations so we were originally quite happy to secure a room at a reasonable rate. We arrived at almost midnight and were informed that the generator would be shut off from 2 to 4 a.m. so we hurried to our room to try and get settled and asleep before that happened. The halls were hot and muggy and very run down so we were pleasantly surprised to find the room cool. The room was a decent size but had definitely seen better days. There were ceiling tiles missing, obvious holes in the blankets on the beds, gaping curtains, no decor to speak up unless you count the pizza delivery flyer posted on the wall, and worn tiles on the floors. On the bright side, the bathroom was a little better, like it had been redone, with decent water pressure but only the most basic amenities were provided and there wasn’t a hair dryer. So while it served our purpose for a few hours rest, I wouldn’t stay there again unless I had no other choice.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank sdwhizz
Reviewed 15 September 2017

We stayed 1 night at the Coral by the Sea. It was perfect for the price. If we were staying longer we may have looked around a bit, but I would absolutely stay here again for a vacation on a budget. The room was not fantastic, but it was clean. I would guess this is an old building, bathroom was small, but clean. The elevator was a little scary, but we were there for an adventure so we got in! The staff was friendly, and helpful. If you're not picky about your room, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple