“Not to be missed if you're a Harry Potter fan!”

Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter
Book In Advance
US$97.84*
and up
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of Harry Potter with Luxury Round-Trip...
US$97.84*
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros. Studio in London
US$95.08*
Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Leavesden
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Warner Bros. Studio Tour London is a behind-the-scenes walking tour which immerses guests into the world of film-making. The tour features authentic sets, costumes and props that showcase the British artistry, technology and talent that goes into producing world famous and successful movies, created at Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden. The Studio Tour will initially focus on the Harry Potter film series which has made the Studios its home for over 10 years.
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Although the FAQ on the official web page says that says that 'We estimate the average Studio Tour to last approximately three and a half hours', I spent literally 5.5 hours in the studio soaking everything in- from snapping photos of (and with) all the exhibitions to reading the descriptions and watching the short clips on the how the films were made on screen; it was truly an enjoyable day out!

To make complete use of your tour slot, I would suggest allocating an entire day for it. The closing time is 3 hours after the last time slot so if possible, book one of the earlier time slots. Only approximately 30 minutes of the tour is guided. After the guided tour, you're free to roam as you please.

It is also quite expensive to get yourself to the venue as you can only take the bus or train there (and change to bus) as it is somewhat in the middle of nowhere. If you have a Railcard, taking the train would probably be faster and also slightly cheaper. But if you don't, then taking the direct bus provided by Warner Brothers would probably be much cheaper. (Check though! Prices might have changed since I went).

Another thing I would like to point out is that Christmas would probably be the best time to visit as they would have decorated the studio with Christmasy decorations! This seasonal special makes the dayout much more worth it.

3  Thank scclarissa
There are newer reviews for Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

My 7 year old is a huge Harry Potter fan so we decided to book as a Christmas treat. We caught the Harry Potter bus from Watford Junction Station (£2 per person return ticket) so it was an added bonus to our day (to be honest I've never been so excited to catch a bus!!). From the moment you arrive at the studio, to the moment you leave its an overwhelming experience. In fact we wanted to go back the next day it was that good! The staff are very friendly and helpfull and the price of the tickets are well worth it. We sampled the famous butterbeer which is quite pleasant but an acquired taste. Would advise to take lots of money for the gift shop as it is pricey but there is so much to choose from.

2  Thank Cheekychick555
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This activity has an abundance of information and props to look at . It is well organised and the staff were polite . We enjoyed the broomstick ride and wand lessons . We loved looking at the costumes .

In view of the pricey ticket price, I was disappointed to see that the refreshment stop, half way through the tour, was outside. It was windy and rainy and only 3 outdoor heaters were working . Many of the tables and chairs had rain water on them. The only savoury food on offer was very expensive hot dogs . It was an unpleasant shabby experience .

On another note, I am puzzled as to why there is a cloakroom as staff recommend customers to retain their coats, for the outside part of the tour . Why does the tour promote the cloakroom if it can only be accessed at the beginning of the tour .

The shop was expensive but this was anticipated after reading others feedback .

4  Thank TheBusyBee123
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Whether you are a Potterhead or not, this is a great experience for all the family!
I bought the tickets in June as Gift tickets for my daughter's 21st Birthday but we booked the trip for December as we wanted to see Hogwarts dressed for Christmas.

Our plan was to travel to Watford Junction to catch the Hogwarts express bus. We got there in good time but were unprepared for how busy it would be. Prepare yourself. It is a Free for all getting on the bus. There is no queue at all and everyone is pushing to get on. The bus driver is very polite though and will try and get as many people on as possible.

The journey to the Attraction was a weird one that took us through residential streets and narrow roads. The journey is about 15 minutes.

Once we arrived, everyone piled off the bus and to the ticket desks to swap the printout for real tickets. Outside there are statues of Chess pieces so we went to take some pictures while the queues died down. The ladies at the tickets desks were very efficient and they were getting through people quite fast. There are also electronic self service machines but I prefer to speak to a human in these situations and I am glad I did. As I said, I bought the tickets as gift tickets for my daughter's birthday and I had left a Birthday message for her. Once the lady behind the desk found our booking she read out the message to my daughter and gave her a badge which read "Star of the day" "Happy Birthday" This is a lovely touch. Even though my daughter is 21, she wore the badge with Pride all day and was treated like a VIP by all the staff we encountered on our tour.

Once inside although our slot time wasn't for another half hour we were told we could join the line straight away.

Once you get inside the first part of the tour is guide led. You get to sit in a very comfortable theatre and watch a presentation on the big screen from Dan, Rupert and Emma. Then once the doors are opened to the Great Hall you are left to discover everything for yourself.

We spent 6 hours there altogether. I took lots of photos and videos. I would advise that you take lots of spare camera batteries as my camera died half way round so I had to switch to using my phone for photos and videos which also died after 5 hours.

The halfway mark as others have said is the outside lot. We took pack-up with us and our own drinks. It was a very windy and rainy day but the seating area is under cover with patio heaters so we were warm and dry. I treated us to Tankards of ButterBeer which were £6 each and there is a Tankard wash station so you can wash them out and take them home.

You really can take your time going round. If a certain area seems crowded, you can always go back to it. That's what we did. You may need to queue for the Flying Broomstick photos and for the wand duel but it won't be too much of a wait.

Of course the Pièce de résistance is Hogwarts itself. As we went in December it was all covered in Snow and it was just truly Stunning! You can spend as long you want just sitting and admiring it. We took hundreds of photos from every angle.

As others have said, You have to leave through the gift shop and it is rather expensive but as long as you are not the types to want everything it is still great to wander round and look. You can also try out all the wands too and there is no pressure to buy at all.

Altogether a Great day out and you certainly learn a lot from behind the scenes. I definitely want to go back again in 2014!!

3  Thank jembie
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Spent 3 hours walking around the studios and loved every second of it!! Would recommend to anyone and will definitely go back in the future. Well worth the money.

1  Thank Amy B

Travellers who viewed Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter also viewed

Been to Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter? Share your experiences!