“Worst restaurant ever... avoid at all costs!!! ”

Svejk Restaurant U zeleneho stromu
Ranked #4,579 of 5,822 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Czech
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Staré Město (Old Town)
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I don't even know where to begin on this place. If I could give 0 stars I would've. First, our waiter took our order... waited 15 minutes to tell us something about the computer being down and how he had lost our order... So we had to reorder. Fine, no big deal. Then we get our food... which was cold. But since our waiter was currently having an argument with an angry customer we let it go. Then we got our bill and found we had been charged for bread and sauces we didn't order. Upon asking why we were told we had been cut a break and should have been charged for that 5 times... even though we didn't touch it or order it. So we tried to explain to the waiter that this practice was deceiving and he should tell his manager. Then we asked to split the bill and were told that was not possible. However, after dumbfounded looks our waiter said he'd do us a favor and split it to two cards. AND this is when it got bad... We left the restaurant and the waiter had the nerve to follow us out of the restaurant saying he was upset that we didn't leave a tip... aggressively arguing with us. This place should be investigated and shut down. DO NOT EAT HERE unless you want to leave upset and ready to return home and write a review immediately. I really think this was ny worst experience in a restaurant in my life and I have eaten in restaurants all over the world.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stumbled on to this place while walking around. We live in Prague but we are expatriates. The young waiter was nothing short of surly for no apparent reason. We were not impolite, used some Czech - but as my son said, why would you work in a customer service job when you hate people? And - it is not true that all customer service in Prague is bad. Please avoid this place - bad service, average good, overpriced.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I had the rocket salad with tomatoes and Parmesan. It was hilariously expensive. My wallet cried. 179 CZH for a salad is too expensive! They also charge you for 10 pretzels 15 CHZ a piece, so beware.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If you decide to go here, beware. The pretzels on the table that look like they are for the taking cost about 500 crowns apiece ($2.49) Cokes are 1000 crowns ($5.00 and they are the very small bottles. I had goulash soup which was beef broth with a tiny bit of meat and a few chunks of potatoes. My husband's fish came out burned and when he pointed it out to the waiter, the waiter seemed indignant. A roll was brought out with a dinner and when it was eaten, another 1000 crowns was added to the bill. Of the 8 of us that ate there,no one received a good meal. At the end of the meal, the waiter proceeded to tell us how much we should tip him. He that did not smile, did not attend to us well, delivered burned and/or inadequate food became quite rude that we weren't willing to tip him 15% in a country where 5-10% is more the norm..if you are satisfied. DON'T DO IT!

Reviewed 17 March 2018

The staff are to be congratulated on making an inedible plate of french fries. I can only assume they dropped the packet of salt on the plate.
The waiter was friendly but did not write down the order. An extra starter was delivered and being English we accepted it and paid for it. The main course order was incorrect but quickly corrected which was unfortunate as it was a plate of goulash. The meat was tough, overcooked and barely a third could be eaten. The vegetarian option was a generous portion of deep fried edam tasting of nothing but oil.
The bill had a cover charge added which is fairly standard in other parts of Europe but this was the only place we experienced it in Prague. That was ok but there was a pretzel charge as well, calculated as 6 pieces which was definitely incorrect.

Best avoided if you actually wish to eat. Fine for beer and pretzels.