“Just fantastic - A Hidden Gem!”

Restaurant U Modre kachnicky
Ranked #55 of 6,184 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: European, Czech
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Praha 1 (City Center)
Reviewed 4 December 2018 via mobile

We visited U Modre Kachnicky in Mala Strana after having done a little research into where to go for a special meal in Prague. Without having made a booking, we arrived at the restaurant hoping to find a table. After entering through a mysterious red curtain, we entered into what was a tranquil, atmospheric and homely room, full of fascinating decorations and memorabilia of times gone by. We were greeted and our coats were taken before being seated at a sweet table next to the window, which was lined with poinsettia plants and framed photographs of some well known faces to have frequented the restaurant in the past.

We enjoyed a wonderful meal, trying the duck confit and roasted pheasant breast; both meals were delicious and plentiful. We had aperitifs to drink, so can't attest to the wine but the nearby party seemed to enjoy whichever grape they'd chosen.

A special thank-you to Gabriela, who was attentive, polite and welcoming throughout our meal. The flamed pancake with Grand Marnier and fresh berries (literally cooked at the table) was divine. We will be back!

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed 1 December 2018

I chose this restaurant due to the great reviews on Trip Advisor and it didn't disappoint! We booked about a week before to secure a table which I am glad we did as the room certainly did fill up once we arrived for our reservation at 8pm.

The decor of the dining room is lovely - it really is like sitting in someone's dining room and it had a lovely cosy feel to it. There was a nice ambience with music playing quietly in the background. Service was great and we found the staff very helpful and friendly, especially the waiter who served us.

Both my husband and I had duck dishes - he had the flambéed duck breast and I had the roast duck with bacon Brussels sprouts stew and garlic potato pancakes and we both really enjoyed our meals. We were so full from our main meal we didn't have room for dessert!

I would highly recommend trying this restaurant - it is not usually the type of restaurant we go to but we were glad we decided to chose something different.

Reviewed 30 November 2018

The restaurant is just across the road from the hotel in which we were staying so very convenient when it's cold!. From the outside it looked closed but as soon as you open the curtain behind the door you are welcomed into a warm brightly lit series of small dining rooms. We were on the top floor in the piano room which was delightful. Great selection from the pianist and not too invasive.
Okay enough on the ambience, the food was wonderful. My wife had the pheasant breast and I had the saddle of venison which was frankly the best I have had anywhere. Great appetisers and desserts made for a perfect dining experience.
We will definitely be back to try the duck for which the restaurant is famous.

Reviewed 26 November 2018 via mobile

We visited for dinner. The street was quiet and the restaurant entrance was quiet and dark. Initially misunderstood it was closed.

Very special decoration and layout. It may be a tailor workshop before converting to a restaurant.

Service was professional. Good explanation of the menu. Friendly waiters.

Reviewed 21 November 2018

My wife and I celebrated my 60th birthday at U Modre Kachinsky on Tuesday, November 20th. I found this restaurant through Restu.cv when I was looking for a unique location for us to have a great dinner. The 5 star reviews were accurate. Tomas and Ondre were our wait team and the level of service for a multi course dinner was terrific. We felt welcomed by the team, we were shown to a great table upstairs near the pianist.
The appetizers, especially the venison were delicious. the wine selection had what I wanted- Czech Republic wines, that were superior in quality but not over the top in price. Salads and entrees (we had the veal and rump roast) were cooked and presented in a superior method. Overall we would recommend U modre KACHINSKYN again to anyone traveling in Eastern Europe.