“A VERY Unpleasant and Expensive Meal”
Review of Restaurant Peklo

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hradčany & Letná
Reviewed 22 February 2018

The moment we stepped into this restaurant, we felt that we were not welcome here. Well, the "facial expressions" of the waiter and waitress were that obvious, after all. And again, their service attitude proved that we were correct about our intuitions. I wondered that if it was related to my identity as an Asian or not... well, just wondering. After ordering the meal, I asked her where the bathroom was (the restaurant was very dark, or I could find the way to the bathroom by myself), she quickly pointed at a rough direction, saying Czech (Cuz I had no idea what she was talking, I guess it was Czech) and walked away very, very quickly without making sure if I understood her instruction or not. (I didn't assume everyone in Czech should speak English, but if she understood my question, how come she didn't answer me in English?) Later, I asked my friend and made sure about the direction by ourselves.
The following service was disappointing, too. All I could recalled were quick motions and aloof attitude. The meal was so-so, not really satisfying. Well, one could have a better choice, definitely. In the end, I asked my friend not to tip her, but my friend still offered her tips.
To conclude, this restaurant didn't provide us any good service, and the so-so meal cost us more than 25 Euros. And by the way, we didn't pay to see you "turning up your nose at us."

Mirek K, Vlastník at Restaurant Peklo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Dear SasaChenMs,

the guest is for us a person who brings us money, regardless of nationality.
Do you have the problem that you are asian handicap picks? At our restaurant we serve people without any difference in skin color. The toilets are right in front of the bar. The service may not have a super English pronunciation, but it's not bad.
We are professionals, not racists!
M.K.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Stumbled across this restaurant by chance as we were walking down the hill from the tower. Glad we went in. It's a beautiful old building, you are seated underground. The menu isn't extensive, but has your typical Czech dishes. We tried the roast duck and pork knuckle. There was plenty of it! The wait staff were professional and efficient, the beer which is made on the premises was great. Definitely worth a visit, although it's a bit pricier than other restaurants it's worth it for the ambience

1  Thank Adele S
Reviewed 15 January 2018

We dropped in to have some snack while walking around the parks on a cold day. Interior was very nice, local brewery monastery beers were good, snacks were nice.

1  Thank HarriHirvela
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

While walking down from the observation tower we saw an innocuous door for this restaurant set into the hillside. We decided to try it. We went inside and went deep into the hillside to the restaurant set in old wine cellars. It is an unusual setting and very atmospheric. Well worth a visit. We all had goulash in a hollowed out bread loaf. I am pleased to have tried this but would not choose it again here. I had three small pieces of meat and it was mostly gravy. BUT this is a must visit restaurant.

1  Thank Jeff522013
Mirek K, Vlastník at Restaurant Peklo, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Dear Jeff522013,

thank you for your visit.We have not goulash in a bread bowl, we have goulash soup in a bread bowl. Goulash is cooked differently.

Best regards M.K.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Situated on the way up to Petrin Hill, from the outside it looks nothing special but once inside WOW! Inside it is a magical candelit cave very atmospheric, full of history and an absolute delight to have lunch in. The beef goulash soup comes in a bread bowl and is simply delicious. Not for those with a poor appetite given its size and a visit to Prague would not be complete without trying it.

2  Thank gelascotland