“How to ruin an experience”
Review of Restaurant Peklo

Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hradčany & Letná
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

I still try to know if I liked it or not... there are pros and cons

Pros:
- food: not exceptional but good. Definitely is not worth the price, but you pay for the place. Not vegetarian friendly at all, but if you are you’d manage to have a salad or one choice of pasta. It’s doable.
- beer: beer is good. Take it. And avoid wine aaaaabsolutely
- no doubt, the place itself. It’s magic, beautiful, unique. I would love that the place would give info about its history. It could really benefit from a better service and food.
That leads me to the cons

Cons:
- Ambiance: yes, surprisingly. WHY ON EARTH would you ever put Hits radio old fashion disco music in such a place?!? “Vamos a la plaja”, really?!
Sure, you get some musicians time to time, but in between, it’s tragic!
- Service: don’t take me wrong, they are nice (kind of. A bit.). Just not professional. I asked “what kind of “X” has this plate?” answer “Ok”, writes it down like I ordered it, and leaves... one waiter says one thing, and the second will come later, gives different info... later, I ask for the dessert menu, and the other waiter brings the bill... many things like that. An overall unprofessional behavior that ruins a bit the experience.
Give these guys a training, Jesus.
- Wine. The wine list is made of extremely cheap wines. It’s absolutely gross. Beer is good, so stick to the beer. Seriously.

Mirek K, Vlastník at Restaurant Peklo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear sir,

Thank you for your review. Please allow me to clarify a few things. Music – we cannot please everyone, some people did not like jazz, others Christmas music during the Christmas holidays. Over the last few years, I have found that, for our target group of guests aged between 30 and 60, we only play music to sketch out an atmosphere of the 1980s and 90s, where the guests themselves hum well-known songs. And at weekends we have live guitar or violin music. Wine – if you did not like our house wine, which I drink myself, and I do not find bad, you could have tried something from our wide selection of high-quality Czech and foreign bottled wines.
You mentioned beer. We have 6 kinds and our oldest recipe dates back to 1626 from the Želiv monastery.
I regret that our waiter Tom did not understand you, and I sincerely apologise for that. We are a small and stable team and we enjoy our work, so we are sorry. I apologise for the inconvenience and I thank you for your observations.

Mirek.K

Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

We came here after Petrin hill, it was an interesting place, but drinks and food are very expensive, only 2-3 Czech dishes, we only had drinks here, a small beer is around 75 CZK, but the waiter charged me 160 in total for two beers, if he expects me to leave a tip, he should not do it himself by charging me on my card, such a rip off, will not come here ever again!

1  Thank Gary3101984
Mirek K, Vlastník at Restaurant Peklo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Dear Gary3101984,

I did not find a payment account for the amount of 160 crowns-(February) Big Beer 76,-czk (2,60£ ) soft drink 0,33 55,-czk(1,89 £) is very expensive ? £4 0,5 beer at pub in UK is very cheap. Tip 8 crowns (27,6 Pence Sterling), the waiter will not put on the card .tax on the tip is 25%.,
Best regards

M.K.

Reviewed 22 February 2018

The moment we stepped into this restaurant, we felt that we were not welcome here. Well, the "facial expressions" of the waiter and waitress were that obvious, after all. And again, their service attitude proved that we were correct about our intuitions. I wondered that if it was related to my identity as an Asian or not... well, just wondering. After ordering the meal, I asked her where the bathroom was (the restaurant was very dark, or I could find the way to the bathroom by myself), she quickly pointed at a rough direction, saying Czech (Cuz I had no idea what she was talking, I guess it was Czech) and walked away very, very quickly without making sure if I understood her instruction or not. (I didn't assume everyone in Czech should speak English, but if she understood my question, how come she didn't answer me in English?) Later, I asked my friend and made sure about the direction by ourselves.
The following service was disappointing, too. All I could recalled were quick motions and aloof attitude. The meal was so-so, not really satisfying. Well, one could have a better choice, definitely. In the end, I asked my friend not to tip her, but my friend still offered her tips.
To conclude, this restaurant didn't provide us any good service, and the so-so meal cost us more than 25 Euros. And by the way, we didn't pay to see you "turning up your nose at us."

Dear SasaChenMs,

the guest is for us a person who brings us money, regardless of nationality.
Do you have the problem that you are asian handicap picks? At our restaurant we serve people without any difference in skin color. The toilets are right in front of the bar. The service may not have a super English pronunciation, but it's not bad.
We are professionals, not racists!
M.K.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Stumbled across this restaurant by chance as we were walking down the hill from the tower. Glad we went in. It's a beautiful old building, you are seated underground. The menu isn't extensive, but has your typical Czech dishes. We tried the roast duck and pork knuckle. There was plenty of it! The wait staff were professional and efficient, the beer which is made on the premises was great. Definitely worth a visit, although it's a bit pricier than other restaurants it's worth it for the ambience

1  Thank Adele S
Reviewed 15 January 2018

We dropped in to have some snack while walking around the parks on a cold day. Interior was very nice, local brewery monastery beers were good, snacks were nice.

1  Thank HarriHirvela