“Star Apartment Slawkowska”

Old Town Apartments
Ranked #58 of 444 Speciality Lodging in Krakow
Reviewed 16 February 2012

After a week skiing in Zakopane we returned to the STAR apartment in Krakow for one night before we flew home. (Feb 2012)

This property was billed as being of a high standard?

There is absolutely no parking less than a 10+ minute walk away from the entrance and as it is in a controlled traffic area dropping off outside also risks a police fine.
The apartment can only be reached by a very steep spiral staircase, as it is on the 3rd floor. The stair area and outside the apartment itself had a very strong smell of cigarette smoke clearly people use the stairs as a smoking zone.
Upon entering the apartment the first thing we noticed was a smell inside the premises; in addition the images that we had seen on the net were not in my opinion a true reflection of the interior of the property. The main seating area was a corner couch, which had been covered with throw like blankets underneath which the couch had stains on it. There was a glass top table in the same room which was not fixed to the table frame and the glass top almost fell off when I placed a bag onto it. The down stairs toilet had no loo roll holder.
We were very disappointed with the quality of the property. We only stayed inside long enough for me to book a nearby hotel and we left.
I had paid in full in advance and did not expect that when I complained that the company would be likely to refund anything. However more in hope than anything else I sent an e-mail that same night telling them of my complaint.
They effectively refuted my claims and only just stopped short of saying I was not telling the truth and that I had used the property and they had evidence to prove it, which I assume was the fact that we had used the toilet when we had entered the premises.
If you are looking for a high quality apartment then in my opinion this is not it.

It is very well positioned for the main square and this is about the single plus point I can make for it.

I was in a group of 6 people, my wife and I are 40+, we were with my sister in law who is 30+ and my two kids aged 17 & 11. We are not cranks and I have posted this as I said to the company to place my observations and comments onto the relevant travel forums to ensure that no one else is as disappointed as I have been.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Joanna81, Manager at Old Town Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Dear Sir,
I am very sorry to hear you didn't like the apartment and our service. I remember our conversation via e-mails yesterday and I would like to present our point of view. I think it is important to hear both sides in this dispute.
First of all, we are always very attentive to our guests' comfort and final satisfaction of their stay and we are always available during their stay to respond to all questions or concerns. We manage to admit if we make a mistake and we do not avoid responsibilty - we know how important is the quality of our apartments and best customer service. Therefore, each apartment is checked by our technician before arrival just to make sure stay of our guests is comfortable. Star apartment was also checked.
Moreover, this apartment has high ratings on our website as well as on others, objective websites.The apartment inside looks exactly the same as on advertising photos. We inspected it deeply again yesterday after receiving your complaint and we took some photos just to compare with the photos on websites.
Please let me refer to the rest of your comments.
The apartment is located on Slawkowska St which is in Zone A (out of traffic) and unfortunately we can not do anything about it - this is how it is the the heart of Krakow, next to the Main Square. However, during the check-in the receptionist gave you very detailed information about car parks and zones, you also received a special map.
Yes, the apartment is located on the 3rd floor and you received such information while making a reservation. Unfortunately, most buildings in Old Town don't have elevators as they are historical ones.
You checked-in at 2 pm yesterday and after you left the office we never received any information from you that something was wrong. I am sure we would have found a solution to the problem immediately. We were here to help you in all cases. Also during the check-in the receptionist informed you about our emergency phone 24/7 and that you could always contact us in case of questions or problems. Therefore, we were even more surprised by your e-mail a day after your sudden check-out.
You wrote that you did not use the apartment. Unfortunately, we noticed a few things that proves you used the bathroom and beds. Also, two of our employees were in the building by accident when you arrived and they didn't see you leaving immediately after you entered and saw the apartment. Moreover, you called us at 6 pm to ask about the internet in the apartment as you were still inside. So it means you stayed in the apartment for at least a few hours and were using it.
All in all, we are always ready to admit we made a mistake if it happened and we remain at guests' service 24/7 (in the office or under emergency phone number). We just don't understand why you didn't contact us first and tell about the problems. You just sent us e-mail with saying that you would spread a bad word about us if we didn't refund you money.
We always appreciate all comments from our guests, especially the critical ones as they help us to improve our quality. However, with all respect, we can not accept fraudulent behaviour.

Kind Regards,
Joanna Kobylecka

There are newer reviews for Old Town Apartments

Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed at 3 apartments of theirs in Poland; this was the last one and I have to look pretty hard to find any negative thing to say. The check-out was on sunday at 7:00 (because i had to catch my plane in Warsaw and i chose for a cash deposit) and i thought this might prove difficult but not at all. The cleaning lady was there, right on time to return my deposit.
If i have to say something; there wasn't that much pressure on the water but now i'm really trying hard to find something "bad" :) Next trip i'll be using them the same company, that's for sure!

• Stayed: January 2012
Joanna81, Manager at Old Town Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am even more happy to read that you are our repeat customer. We appreciate your loyalty a lot! It's the best award for us to know you trust us. We do our best so that you are satisfied with our service wherever you stay. We are looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 27 January 2012

We stayed in Cracovia 7 apartment. Very good location but have to remember flat is on 3rd floor no lift. Amazing floor heating in a bathroom makes live so nice after having a shower. Fully equiped kitchen, many tv channels gives you a chance to relax even if it is cold or raining.
However there are some small thing that should be mentioned on the website. As the apt is on the third and last floor it has only roof windows. Bit to dark for me. It would be nice if it was repainted. We also experienced some British guys wanted to get into the building calling our flat but it is not Old Town Apartments fault of course:)
Anyway the stay was very nice and it is good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests,
Thank you for sharing your opinion about one of our apartment. It is nice to hear you enjoyed your stay overall.
On our website, we have apartments plans which, we hope, are useful to see how the apartment looks like. There are also plenty of updated photos.
Yes, I agree, the apartment needs repainting after the high season and we are about to do it within 2 next months. Thank you for all your suggestions. We value your opinion and all critical comments as they help us to improve our quality.
It was a pleasure to host you and I hope you will choose Old Town Apartments again for your next trip to Krakow.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed in the Cracovia 5 apartment on Dietla for the 2011-2012 New Year. Clean enough, very large, fully equiped, very close to everything important. Excellent price for all this.

Room Tip: Try not to book an apartment on the last floor. You won't be able to open the windows if there...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Joanna81, Manager at Old Town Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for your opinion about your stay with us. I really appreciate your effort in sharing a good word about us.
It was a pleasure to host you and I hope you will visit us again in beautiful Krakow!

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed here for four nights while visiting family in Krakow, the location was fantastic!!! The price was even better and the apartment more than met our expectations! We were within walking distance from both the gorgeous Main Market Square and the Wawel Castle, with the Church of SS Peter and Paul right next door... There were plenty of restaurants nearby, and a handy guide from Apartments Apart recommending local eateries - a very thoughtful addition! We were also very pleased with the amenities - the kitchen amid washing machine - and we're able to take advantage of both thanks to the convenient little market right in front of the apartment. We will definitely stay here again and are currently looking to use Apartments Apart for our trip to Italy next month!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank amerrica

Dear Guests,
It means a lot for us to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our apartment. Our guests' satisfaction and a high quality of our service is crucial for us. I really hope we will meet again in Krakow soon. Thank you for staying with us!