“If you are looking for a place to taste Hungarian Vines in Warsaw (on the cheap), this is your place”

Borpince Hungarian Restaurant and winebar
Ranked #137 of 2,916 Restaurants in Warsaw
Price range: US$4 - US$14
Cuisines: Hungarian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Śródmieście Północne
Description: Borpince Restaurant is the oldest and most traditional Hungarian restaurant in Warsaw. Since 2004 we offer the best dishes based on home recipes and talent of our Chefs. Located in the very heart of Warsaw, in the basements of 19th century tenement house we are surronded by atmosphere of an old wine cellar. Borpince offers space for romantic evening, family dinner or buissnes meeting. As a winery and wine bar we always has in offer more than 50 different Hungarian wines. One of the most famous event that took place in our interiors is Dine in the Dark – mysterious dinner in complete darkness. If you wish to find more about us, visit our website and social media profiles. But of course – nothing can replece impressions after visit in our place. We wish to invite you and give you opportunity to feel the spirit of Hungary in capital city of Poland. See you in our cellars!
Reviewed 1 May 2017

I was not there for the food -- however, I heard someone talking about great catfish -- and there is a review that also talks about the catfish dish as great... I bought it for 0.00 and I sell it for 0.00 -- as I did not taste it....

Nevertheless, they have a tradition / event. Every last Thursday of the month there is vine tasting -- of Hungarian vines. This time it was 30PLN per person. They had 6 vines to taste. I had a coupon from "Special Gifts" so I did not ask if the 30 PLN is the price every time... But it seems likely.

Each time there are new vines to taste. With the tasting there is food. This is not a'la carte food, but "what they bring". There was bread with "smalec" (lard) Hungarian style; deep fried mini-pizza like dishes with variety of toppings (there must be a Hungarian name for these ;-) and there was Gulash soup at the end. Somehow I assume that each time dishes will be similar. They are also -- to the best of my knowledge -- very Hungarian... deep fried / heavy / fatty -- but this is a Hungarian Restaurant ;-)

Vines... OK, this is not Bordeux, Dao, Rioja, etc. This is vine from Hungary... I do not want to be critical to Hungarian vines, so I will describe it like this. Out of the 6 vines: white was good, but too expensive to buy; but to drink it in the middle of summer (with sparkling water...) would be great... Rose was very nice (a bit to pricey though), but we almost purchased it. Out of 4 reds I liked one and was curious about one...

I say this mush about the experience to be able to summarize like this:

1. If you like vine
2. If you like to explore new vines / rare vines / from outside of the obvious...

Events in this restaurant are definitely(!) worthy visiting / attending.

The food will be.... Hungarian... Vines will be... Hungarian... but the explorer in you will be gratified and from time to time you may buy a bottle or two for your cellar...

See you there next time!!! ;-)

Reviewed 11 April 2017

We eat here our first breakfast in Warsaw after landing. Nice, cheap, but nothing special. And no meals for children except pancakes. So, if you want fast cheap breakfast - it could be the place, otherwise - look for other place.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

Nicely appointed restaurant in the heart of Warsaw. The raw, bricked basement creates a really nice atmosphere. Our waiter once he showed up was very nice and talkative. However we felt a little neglected over the whole stay. I have ordered a fish soup which was quite good. However "Ognisty gulasz z goluszkami" was something to forget. It was not at all hot and the taste was... yeah, there was none.
All in all had a god time. My friends didn't have any complains about their food so it seems I was just unlucky.

Reviewed 7 January 2017

Excellent Hungarian restaurant in Warsaw. The service and food was excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant and I would highly suggest ordering the meat board and the soup(s).

Reviewed 6 January 2017

One of several restaurants we visited. Good value both food and drink. Friendly service and spoke English.