“Subtle and rafined”

Ranked #85 of 659 Restaurants in Ljubljana
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 October 2017

JB's is palcednear the Ljubljana's railway/bus station in narrow Miklošičeva street so refined and sutile that you can simply pass by - eventhought it is in ground floor of one of Jože Plečnik's magnificents city palaces. Interior is also refined and subtle as is the food they served. There is no sudden wooow factor, in both of it, most of all is in aftertasre.
There is no disturbing sound - not from the street or from anykind of gadgets. This place is one three most wanted>/desired in wholr Slovenia so dropin'-in anannounced it is a kind of mission impossible/kamikaze-act. And do not worry where to park your vehicle, there is a parking-garaže about 100 m away (Dalmatinova stret). Simpy rečlax and enjoy your cheff's masterpieces.

1  Thank Borut B

Reviewed 11 October 2017

I was told by a local this restaurant from chef-owner Janez Bratovž was once a contender for a Michelin star, but was unfairly passed over by the guide, the buzz abated and it has been in decline over the past few years. Whether this is true or not, it did not affect the food in my experience. It was certainly a quiet place when we arrived with just three tables occupied at prime time on a Friday night (and no more guests showed up).

The restaurant has the standard high-end feel - minimalist design, very low lighting (hence not great pics), formal but high quality service.

The food is a modern interpretation of traditional Slovenian food and the menu offers an à la carte or three different tasting menus, each successive one having more courses and delving deeper into Slovenian cuisine. Note: the menu on the website currently is not the menu we were given at the restaurant - the format is the same, but the dishes are mostly different.

My girlfriend opted for à la carte and I decided to try the smallest fixed menu - the "Tasting menu". The waiter helped us negotiate the Slovenian wine menu and I have nothing but praise for the recommendation he gave us which was a blend of Merlot, Cab Sauv and Cab Franc (and I don't normally like two of those grapes).

For the tasting menu, I got some really incredible food:
-- Delicious green beans with herbs and foam
-- Egg yolk with pork cracklings. To die for!
-- Mac and cheese with Slovenian goat ricotta. So much better than it sounds!
-- Smoked beef shortrib with gnocchi and mushrooms (getting so full at this stage)
-- Gibanica "JB" - a delicious modern take on a traditional Slovenian dessert.

My girlfriend had:
-- Marinated raw tuna with radishes and edible flowers
-- Cheese stuffed ravioli with foie gras!

I don't think we left a molecule of anything on the plate. Everything was delicious. And I was incredibly full afterwards. The whole thing including the bottle of wine and two glasses of sparkling wine at the beginning cost €140, which for the volume, the quality and the creativity was a bargain in my view.

I feel sad that this place seems to not have a roaring trade. It's a short walk from the center but is not in an area of high foot-traffic so that may contribute. There are so many restaurants in Ljubljana that this one may not pop out. However, there are a few high end newer ones that get a lot of attention but unless you reserve weeks in advance you will not get in. JB, by comparison, seems to be every bit as good and you will not have to stress about getting a table.

3  Thank manndras
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

A slightly old fashioned setting ( chandeliers etc) but knowledgable service with a good knowledge of wine. The food was well prepared and adventurous but slightly lacked star quality!

A thoroughly enjoyable meal

1  Thank Philip H
Reviewed 25 September 2017

JB was only a short walk from our hotel (Central) so we stopped in for an early dinner without reservations on a weeknight and had no problem getting a table. The decor is rather elegant. A nice touch was stools brought out for the ladies' purses. Service was outstanding, as was the food. A tasting menu was offered, which two of us ordered. Prices are on the high side for Ljubljana but quite reasonable compared to neighboring Italy, Austria and Germany, so we felt that the meal was a good value. Nice selection of Slovenian wines.

2  Thank Larry T
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and i chose JB restaurant as a treat after not being out for a long time.
We were positively surprised by the tastes and presentation of the food. We had pasta with home made sauce and sour cream as a warm starter, slices of pork with gnocchi and mushrooms as a main dish and a soufle for desert. The main dish was simple yet very tasty and presented is a very nice way.
The desert was top of the dinner, and i was stuffed at the end.

We had some slovenian wine along with the food ... i think it was cabernet vintage 2007. It was a very good recommendation from the staff.

I really have no complaints about this place. I recommend it if you want to spend a lovely dinner with good food and service. The only thing that was slightly weird at first was that there was nobody to greet is when se arrived at first. It looked as if the place around the entrance was deserted. After couple of minutes they noticed us and we kicked it off a lovely evening.

2  Thank Tomaz P