“It's different”

Price range: US$3 - US$84
Cuisines: European
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The medieval restaurant Olde Hansa is the home of a rich merchant, whose guests enjoy delicious, authentic Hansa-era meals and drinks, true period music and always friendly service. All of the dishes on the menu, including many wild game delicacies, are cooked using 15th century recipes and methods. Medieval musicians delight the guests every night of the week except Mondays. Tallinn Card holders receive a sweet treat with every meal purchased - a bag of freshly roasted almonds, on the house!
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Okey its a Medeival restaurant so be prepared for Medeival style food and drink. I had what was basically a lamb curry and it was delicious although my partner who had the same said hers was too salty. Your on holiday so just enjoy!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,123)

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We went in and two employees fuss about something, put on this fake show, everything is done in hurry. We sit down and then...the waiting starts. It seems like we were completely forgotten. Finally some food comes and well, really weird-tasting fish and cheap-tasting wine with a huge pricetag. We finish eating the starters and the waitress comes and says "now it's time for the real food". Well, we wait for 35 minutes before the "real" food arrives. Over half of the plate is filled with dry stuff such as this tasteless huge potato pastry (which I didn't order). The salmon...tasteless. The best part...we got out! The payment didn't took long (it's funny with these bad restaurants...they surely come fast with the check!).
Uncomfortable chairs (especially considering you have to sit there waiting for so long), such dark lightning that you can't even see what you have on your plate). Bad table next to this coat closet and baby strollers. Really fake place. Yuck. It's always bad when you leave with hunger and have to go somewhere else to fill your stomach. Oh, the honey beer...one sip is ok but the rest...seriously!

Review collected in partnership with ASUS 6 Stub App Smartphone
2  Thank Annina H
OldeHansaRestoran, Director Marketing at Olde Hansa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Dear Annina

We are obviously disappointed by your review and whereas we normally embrace criticisms, I am sure that you will understand it when I say that this restaurant, although loved and enjoyed by many thousands each year, is certainly not for you.

It appears that you didn't have know that you were entering into a medieval house, one that faithfully recreates medieval cuisine in both its ingredients, natural flavourings and in its interior decor and style. The House itself (tables and candlelight included) are a faithful recreation of the medieval style of dining. As to your continued criticism of being 'fake' I'm afraid that there are no GENUINE medieval restaurants - obviously - only passionate recreations of that period.

Rather than being contrived, we are located in a 14th-century UNESCO Heritage-protected building. All our recipes are taken from documented medieval texts, our house servants are dressed in period-accurate clothing (down to the last stitch), the menu (with clearly marked prices) are designed using only original drawings from the 15th century, and as for the interiors they are careful recreations of the designs and style that would have been seen during the period of the Hanseatic Merchants in Tallinn.

Referring to the comment about potato pastry, we do not serve any food ingredients that were not available to our forefathers here in Estonia in the year 1475. Potato I am afraid was still across the pond in the Americas during the period in which our House is set.

In response to your points about the lighting, once again we are recreating the interior feel of a medieval house. In fact we have increased the lighting with subtly hidden artificial lighting so that you can read the menu and see your food.

As to leaving hungry - we offer a feast dinner with 17 dishes, any of which can be replenished at no extra charge should you finish them. Meals start from 7.40 euros and all prices are well marked, and if you receive a dish that is not to your liking our policy is to replace the dish with either a replacement or a similarly-priced alternative to your choosing .

Finally with 250 seats in the house, should the seat that you were offered not be to your liking, we rely on customers to take direct action (by saying something). We would have been most happy to offer you one of the 249 other seats that we have in our three-floored House.

May I ask you to read the majority of the comments on Trip Advisor for our restaurant as by doing so you will note that rather than us being a 'bad' restaurant it simply seems as we were both a bad fit for each other. To avoid future disappointment in your choice of restaurant, may I recommend that you do more research into where you choose to eat. We noticed that you recently gave a restaurant a 1 out of 5 that you didn't even eat in. Trip Advisor gives a very definitive overview of what we do and don't do and by doing better research this will avoid not only you visiting a restaurant that is not to your taste but also for the restaurant and its hard-working staff an opportunity to avoid a scathing - and in our opinion - unjustified opinion of the world-class medieval recreation that we offer.

My response to you is long, that I know, but I hope it demonstrates the passion that we have for our restaurant and the disappointment that is felt by all who work for Olde Hansa on receipt of a review as negative as yours.

yours faithfully - and seriously

Jason Barry
Director Marketing

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Visited with my friend. We both got the big Beers in Jug. Everything was medieval themed with all staff dressed up. Fun experience for sure. Food Menu was authentic for the old times too. Very entertaining but expensive. Definitely one to try and great for tourists. English speaking staff.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

With an amazing atmosphere this is a must when visiting Tallinn. Great food, can especially recommend the mushroom soup and the honey ale. the waiters are dresses as in the Middle Ages and to really get a feeling of traveling hundreds of years back in time. The restaurant is also light up only by candles. Great and entertaining service as well.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

I fell I was back in the 15th century. The flavor of the food was amazing with a combination of spices I’ve never tried. Drank beer even though I’m not a beer drinker and it was delicious. A place you gotta visit and the prices are reasonable :)