“Avoid the Sangria”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Went to this restaurant for a meal as one of a few restaurants open in Fremantle on a Monday night. Very mediocre food, we had the veal smothered in cheese which was ok but felt it wasn't freshly cooked only melting the cheese on top. We asked for the glasses of sangria which arrived, very strong hardly diluted was only drinkable diluting it with sparkling water, which we did using a big bottle for our 3 glasses and fruit that had been in there so long was black and inedible. I did bring this up with the manager who said that is how you make it you leave the fruit in for 3 days! I am not sure where this recipe came from but definitely one to avoid. Needless to say will not be going there again and would not recommend!

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

Just a short walk from the Fremantle market. Enjoyed the squid and the wood-fire pizza. Lots more seats upstairs but there isn’t a view from there.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 14 October 2018

Nothing was really wrong at Sandrino, but nothing was really right, either. My family of four ate dinner there last week and, after paying the $120 bill for four entrees and two salads, I felt that we did not get value for money. The food was good--no problem there. My wife and I had entree salads, and the kids (teenagers) had linguine and spaghetti. It was the service and the varying amounts of food that I did not like.

My daughter wanted a salad for dinner and ordered the $9 garden salad. The server said it wasn't big enough for dinner and encouraged her to reconsider. So we ordered her spaghetti as well. My son did the same but with linguine. The GIANT garden salads arrived and I realised that the server had 'up-sold' us to increase the bill--the salads were big enough for a meal and way too much to eat with another entree.

Regarding the salads my wife and I ordered: they cost something like $24 for a caesar salad with chicken. I expected a salad that one might expect for $24, a grand salad, a one-off salad. Nothing of the sort. The $24 salad was small and served in one of those Saturn-like dishes that's scooped out in the middle to make it look big, and the chicken was scant--maybe five or six bites? My wife remarked on the small salad as well. Had the salad cost $12 or $15, I'm not sure I would have had much of a problem with it. But $24? Come on. A $24 salad needs to announce itself.

As for the service: other servers than our own dropped off the food, and we didn't get a refill of water. Late in our meal, I had to flag our server down as she rushed past us so that we might get a bill and a bit more water. She brought those things quickly and a take-away box for my daughter's entire spaghetti dinner. Then we sat for another 10 minutes before I asked another waiter how to pay the server, since ours walked downstairs and I did not see her again. "Oh . . . you walk downstairs and pay at the desk." That would have been nice to know.

This is when I really thought that Sandrino was not a great place and thought I might write this review: When we paid at the desk, the manager did not look at me nor did she ask how our meal was; she robotically swiped my card and said a curt 'Thank you' and then turned away. Again, the food was not bad at Sandrino--it tasted fine, but for a night out on holiday in Fremantle, I'd give this place a miss. Find a more authentic and enjoyable experience for you and your family. (A last zinger: the garden salads are listed at $9 on the menu. I paid $19 for two. I'm no mathematical genius, but . . . ).

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank Lemonjelo
Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

Sad to say first day in Fremantle and probably picked the worst restaurant. Service was hard to find and when I did it was surly and full of attitude. $16 for a mojito that was tasteless. Caesar Salad was full of grit and lacked flavour completely. The nicest part was the tap water!!
Don’t bother it’s not worth i! Will never return

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

I’ve made the mistake of eating here twice now, both times the food was bland and cooked with a clear lack of soul. Not worth the price when there’s so many good spots in freo. Also charged $1.50 for tomato ketchup! Come on!

Date of visit: September 2018