“Do not go through Saco Bound in Conway!”
Review of Saco River

Ranked #766 of 1,257 things to do in Maine
More attraction details
Owner description: Maine river ideal for canoeing.
Reviewed 18 July 2016

My family rented two canoes and a kayak yesterday August 16, 2016 at Seco bound in Conway New Hampshire. It was a beautiful day and extremely crowded. The process getting onto the river was chaotic but not nearly as bad as trying to get off the river at the pig farm for the bus pick up at 5 PM. They ask you ahead of time which pick up you would like, so you sign up for a pick up time, we signed up for 5 PM. I understand you can change your pick up time by just showing up, last pick up was 5 PM, however there were at least 40 people plus at least 20 children Who were trying to unload their boats up to the difficult platform stairway, no help from any staff of Saco Bound. we saw three workers from the company, they were not wearing any type of identifying clothing, one young man approximately 20 was loading up the canoes by himself, an extremely difficult feat, the other two "employees "could not have been more than 14 or 15 years old. They had no idea what they were doing, they only took names and watched this poorboy do all the work alone. There was no first come first serve to the transportation whatsoever. There were many families, groups, many drunks, boisterous people, one van that fit approximately nine people showed up for all of these people. There was going to be a fistfight, one very large group in particular made it very clear that they were going to be first in transportation back. Most of them were very drunk. I had to call the main center, to let them know what was going on, they had no idea if and when any further vans or buses were coming, I explained the situation, even though we were the third group out of at least ten that arrived, we were clearly not leaving on any of the early buses.. It was a complete embarrassment to our visitors from Denmark who could not believe how disorganized and dangerous the situation was becoming. The worst part occured when the canoes were being loaded on the high platforms (they make everyone wait until canoes are loaded before they will take you back, absolutely insane, there should be separate transportation! ), one canoe started to fall off from very high up, there was a woman standing underneath and we had to quickly tell her to move, thankfully the boat did not fall on her head, definite lawsuit, especially when it was these 14 or 15-year-olds that were now attempting to assist but had absolutely no training or no idea what they were doing. After approximately 45 minutes of this ridiculous chaos, no organization, a few more vans and a bus did finally show up, I believe only because of my call call, people running practically knocking each other over to get in line to be first. So embarrassing! The river trip itself was beautiful but the stress at the end makes it so I will never do this again with Saco Bound. Such a shame, this company is headed for a lawsuit!

7  Thank BCalla8035

Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

We had a wonderful 3 day canoe/camping trip - 3 adults and two children. The problem is this river has been allowed to be over run with lazy dirty partiers. We call them sacidiots - they drift down the river, camp out on the sand bars, get drunk and leave behind their trash. One campsite we stopped at had piles of dirty TP littered around what was clearly someone's "bathroom".
Aside from that, the water is warm and clear (in July) with a nice current until just past the Brownfield bridge - then the river is pretty still.

1  Thank catuck
Reviewed 13 July 2016

Must do for visitors of the Saco Region. Gorgeous day floating down the river! We rented from Saco River Canoe and Kayak as we always do. They are great and affordable.

Reviewed 25 August 2015 via mobile

My wife and I took our 3 kids tubing down the Saco river in Conway, NH, in August. Not the best I me to go as the river was low and we had to get out and tow each other over the very low spots. I think it would have been great with more water and faster flow, but still a great way to spend a hot summer day.

2  Thank Geowaters
Reviewed 18 August 2015

This place was great. We went on 8/17/15 and the place was busy. we found Saco Bound and an easy parking spot in the shade, waited in line and when it was our turn we were helped thoroughly. Denise didn't rush us, she was helpful and made it so easy. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was crossing 302 to get to the river since I had a bunch of coolers and stuff. The river was awesome!!! clean clear and refreshing. I will always return to Saco Bound

Been to Saco River? Share your experiences!