“Great Location, Hip Hotel”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #59 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 8 February 2012

My husband and I took a long weekend (2010) to relax before the birth of our child and found the W to be a hip and convenient place to stay.

Arrival: We arrived without a reservation. Valet service was friendly and the front desk was able to accommodate us in a room on a high floor overlooking the Treasury and White House.
I think we paid 500 or so per night. If it had not been for the location, I would say it was overpriced.

Room: Cozy and hip. Perhaps a bit small, but it was fine for the two of us. The bed was neat with a mood light headboard. Fun mini bar items. Room service was always amazing and quick. The shower was fine. I would have appreciated a bath as well, but no complaints. I am a fan of the W decor. Cute sink area. Big window. The only issue I had was that we were right below the rooftop bar and the noise really carried into our room.

Area: a few blocks from the Smithsonian museums, White House, etc.

Staff: Very accommodating

We enjoyed our stay and will most likely stay here in the future.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,342)

Reviewed 2 February 2012

The reason for our stay at this property was to attend a funeral service at ANC. A solemn event, yet because of the excellent accomodations and thoughful, helpful staff at this hotel, our stay was enjoyable and stress free.
It's location is perfect for a glimpse of what's going on at the White House right across the street from the hotel. From the POV, one can watch the SS on the roof top of the White House protecting the first family.
The W restaurants were superb, again excellent wait staff and food served in comfortable surroundings.

Room Tip: great views of the White House from upper level rooms, see photos
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank tiffa2
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The rooms are, what can I say, SEXY. I wished my wife was with me and that I was not on business. Oh well. The service was excellent, the gym was well appointed. The main restaurant does a great job on just about any steak, and has a delicious cheese course for dessert, as well as a exhaustive wine list. I feel like the hallways are too dark, though, too much trying to be trendy. Over all, a great experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CageyT
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Undoubtably the bet customer service I've seen thus far n my travels! Will definately stay here and recommend to others.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Our family (two teenage girls) had adjoining rooms at the W for three nights. This is the historic Washington Hotel with a rooftop bar overlooking the White House and Treasury Dept. There were private rooftop events two of the evenings which made it difficult to get an elevator and entailed security guards questioning you. Also quite noisy. The vibe is Euro-chic and seems to appeal to the twenty something, celebrity seeking crowd. The rooms were okay but small (no separate bathroom in ours) and noisy through the walls and the hallways. Breakfast in the restaurant was lovely. No gift shop but they will get you toiletries if you call the front desk and the Bliss Spa products were nice. The Willard Hotel right next door is a grand hotel and for a little higher price and a more historic Washington feel.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room near the elevators if you need a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Cody_Insider, Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2012

Hello ghvp,

W Washington, DC is definitely not your typical DC hotel. We have a very upbeat and vivacious atmosphere, with lots of energy. On the weekends we do have a lot of events and being a historic property our elevators are original to the building and a little more on the cozier side. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed J&G Steakhouse for breakfast! If you didn't have the French toast, definitely try it next time. It's to die for. Let me know if you plan to visit DC in the near future and I will make sure you have a quieter room and a great experience!

All the best,