“Very good Thai Restaurant near DC theaters”
Review of Absolute Thai

Absolute Thai
Reserve with OpenTable
Absolute Thai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #548 of 3,537 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed 15 January 2017

This restaurant is a short walk from the Shakespeare Theatre and is a great option for a quick and modestly priced meal. The food is excellent -- delicate sauces and well prepared, nicely presented noodle and rice dishes. We really enjoyed the pad see ew and the pad prik king, two dishes that I think can be a good gauge of how well a Thai restaurant covers the basics. Only one dish -- the yum nua -- was slightly disappointing, as it lacked zing and actually was a little light on beef! The other appetizers -- chicken satay and the seaweed and tofu soup -- were wonderful. The atmosphere in this restaurant wasn't anything special, and it was very cold where we sat (near the door on a January night) but service was polite and solicitous and we were very happy with our meal!

Reviewed 30 October 2016

WE went on a Saturday evening, didn't have to wait. It's crowded but so worth it! We had the Phad Thai with chicken (some of the best any of us had ever had), basil fried rice, and a nice yellow curry. There was plenty to feed all of us. The service was ok. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed 21 October 2016

Whilst spending a weekend in D.C for a family wedding, my family & I were wandering around, looking very obviously like tourists, when a complete stranger( local) stopped & asked if we were looking for somewhere to eat. When we affirmed, he suggested Absolute Thai. He said this was his favourite place to eat in Chinatown, everywhere else was of a pretty similar standard.
Once we had found it, I would have to say that we weren't disappointed & this was with a pretty fussy brother- in-law with us!!
Our party consisted of 4 adults & 5 children & we could not fault the staff. They were very attentive & managed to understand our Scottish accents & very chatty children very well.
The food was excellent - a very high standard( & 3 of us have been to Asia).
Overall, an excellent experience. Our only gripe, would be that it is not wheelchair friendly. However, my husband & I are not precious about these things & are perfectly willing to make the most of situations. Before having a disabled child, we would not have paid much attention to accessibility either, so we just get on with it. It's not some thing I would deduct a point for, as overall an excellent meal & service.

Reviewed 7 October 2016

Out of the three Thai restaurants in DC-Chinatown area, I like Absolute Thai the most. The food is close to "authentic" as you could get (not too sweet). And the spicy label works for me. I order the Jungle stir-fried which has 3 spicy level, well it is hot even for a Thai. The best time for dinner is around happy hours (since it is not designated as a drinking place). Later at night tends to be crowded. There are a few small tables for solo or two but you can choose to sit at a bar if you are alone. The place is nicely decorated (not overwhelm by things Thai). It is clean and the staff are nice and patient with guests. If I had a chance to go to the area and want to eat Thai food, this place is the one. It is located at the corner of G street and 6th Street next to the Verizon Center.

Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

Honestly the food was superb, but the server who waited our table was rude. She asked a question and my friend missed it, so she repeated looking rather annoyed. She got my order wrong, and all she did was mumbled a half-hearted sorry and left me to wait for another 10 minutes for my food to be served while my friends are digging in to their meal. When we left with some change as tips, she even ran out and rather demandingly asked for tips. Had a terrible experience there.